Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did SNWR quit posting

Yes and using their OWN money too. I remember when the SNWR was holding most of the mallards on the east coast. I sure am glad and thankful I got to hunt back in them days in the swamp. On the right days you could limit out with WILD mallards and all morning long all you could see in the sky was V after V of birds overhead.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

We fought this a few years ago. The only way to insure the Federal refuge is planted is to do it yourself. I did it one year with the help of several on this site.

The USFWS no longer wants to spend it's budget on planting. They will pump water but planting is over.

There is 10 x more corn around the lake than in the old days. It is hunted and on private land. The refuge is just a place to rest and roost now.

PS. Please send the pocket lining stuff to my office address so my wife does not get any of it.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

The external hiring freeze the fed gov has going on makes it hard to get them fully staffed. Not many existing fed employees willing to move SC to revamp a run down refuge, I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

my A.D.D. has kicked in I'm out
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I hunted with a guy this weekend that told me he and several others offered to donate $10,000 in seed to the SNWR and were declined....

Did he say why they declined? And thanks for moving this JabIII
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I remember when Two Rivers was holding 90% of the mallard population of the Atlantic Flyway (according to the USFWS) too. The game has changed...

When you hear the phrase "Go West" do you think that applies only to the hunter?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Did he say why they declined? And thanks for moving this JabIII
    Said he didn't know why they wouldn't accept. The manager said thanks, but no.
    They have pretty much gotten completely away from waterfowl management. They didn't band a single woodduck this year. They plant a minimal amount of food and the only ducks they are holding is because it is "quiet".
    Last edited by thunderchicken; 01-20-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Well back to the original question I think is answered. Not enough ducks to count, loss of food and just plain fuked up Gubment is what I get outa this. At least my wood ducks showed back up a little early this year to the bird feeder at the back door. As JabIII said years ago you have to give them a PRINT to come back to.

Dt you planted the refuge on your own dime?

Jab, I pert near agree with ya brother, I definitely waxed when I should have waned being that the topic was Fed not state. We are on the same page I reckn.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I remember when Two Rivers was holding 90% of the mallard population of the Atlantic Flyway (according to the USFWS) too. The game has changed...
    I'm always confused when I see anti-DU comments on here. DU and Delta are the only hope of at least maintaining what we have, and our only functioning "refuges" (managed WMA impoundments) wouldn't hold the ducks they do without DU dollars.

In the meantime, the only action which can be taken to get Santee planted again is to write your Senator.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    I'm always confused when I see anti-DU comments on here. DU and Delta are the only hope of at least maintaining what we have, and our only functioning "refuges" (managed WMA impoundments) wouldn't hold the ducks they do without DU dollars.

In the meantime, the only action which can be taken to get Santee planted again is to write your Senator.
    DU is a freaking joke. Pm me and I'll explain. They will never see a dime of my money again.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    DU is a freaking joke. Pm me and I'll explain. They will never see a dime of my money again.
    I disagree, and hope you at least give money to Delta then! If you put in for draw hunts in SC or hunt in/near/around the ACE basin, then you are certainly benefiting from DU's work.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    I disagree, and hope you at least give money to Delta then! If you put in for draw hunts in SC or hunt in/near/around the ACE basin, then you are certainly benefiting from DU's work.
    Enjoy your banquets and the booze, because that is about what the average man reaps from dollars sewn.

That is a thread that could make fitty pages...

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Enjoy your banquets and the booze, because that is about what the average man reaps from dollars sewn.

That is a thread that could make fitty pages...
    Do you hunt any of the draws in NC or SC? Every Saturday from Georgetown to Beaufort, drives of public hunters get near WMAs or try to catch birds going to or from those WMAs. Is that not an example of the average man reaping DU dollars?

If you aren't a member of DU or Delta, then do you do anything to help, or just complain?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Said he didn't know why they wouldn't accept.
    Probably because they accept the seed, then they have to find someone to bring their equipment in plant it, spray it, and all the other farming stuff. They likely don't have the resources to do so. Just my guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Probably because they accept the seed, then they have to find someone to bring their equipment in plant it, spray it, and all the other farming stuff. They likely don't have the resources to do so. Just my guess.
    They have more new farm equipment than most big farmers parked at their shed at the headquarters. Ride by there sometime.

Just wondering if they had the fuel to run the equipment.