Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor experts, need help setting up

That's a pretty big load for a stock 40. I had a mildly modded 50 Yamaha on my 1650 hyper lift. I ran a 15 pitch Michigan Rapture lightly loaded and a 14 reb3 power tech on it when loaded down. Sounds to me you might have too much prop. Also what blade design are you running. That could be some of the problem with the bow of the boat porpoising

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by SCH2Ofowler; 09-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Prop is the NREB14-tn40. It's the only Powertech I could find for the Nissan 40. According to Dan's I should trim up, go to the next pitch size down. Once again, assuming my Tiny Tach is right, I'm too low on RPMs at WOT.

This is my first time at this so this is all learning for me.

Wish I only had the cash to buy Phone Man's 50 Yammie that was on this hull. I'm tempted to buy GatorSC's Yammie 70 for sale on the TP. I might can unload this Nissan and come close to breaking even, although I'd have ti find a tiller handle and convert it. But I need to figure something out, cause I was hoping for more than just 26 mph outta this thing.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-18-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That 70 would run good. The tiller handles are not hard to find and very easy to install. I would check to make sure compression is in check on your motor. Also if its slow to come on plane you can open up the exhaust reliefs on the prop to get a better "spool" up or add them if it does not have them. But if it were me I would look into that 70.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I'm tempted to buy GatorSC's Yammie 70 for sale on the TP. I might can unload this Nissan and come close to breaking even, although I'd have ti find a tiller handle and convert it.
    Do it. I feel like the 50 isn't big enough for mine.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

50 Yamaha sittin in the barn!. Will be easy to set up
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Im running a 50 yamaha on a 1652 roughneck. Im not sure how heavy the boat is but with just me, Im big, and 12 gallons of gas I cant turn 13p powertech over 4500. Im running an 11p stileto now and it touches 5900rpm. My motor is set as high as it will go without drilling any holes, and is mounted on a cmc breakaway. The fact that I cant turn a 13p kind of had me concerned about the condition of the motor, but Ive just been chalking it up to boat weight.
    Last edited by scmoose; 09-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    50 Yamaha sittin in the barn!. Will be easy to set up
    Ah, if money only grew on trees. Not to mention, the way its looking you may need it to get on the water this season.

Sounds like the pitch is my issue. This hull is 600lbs, not sure if that's really heavy by comparison to other comparable hulls. I need 5000-5700 at WOT according to the manual. So looks like I do need to go down to at least a 13, maybe even a 12.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-18-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

no my prodrive will be going by duck season or it will be back in LA along with me and somebody will make it right. Its about to be in good hands and be breathing a lot better when it gets done. Briggs warranty aint worth crap in my book so i'm taking matters into my own hands.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

You go boy. I'm pretty sure I just need the right prop. Besides, I'm saving for a new gun.

For what its worth, what prop worked best on this hull with the 50?
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-18-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm tempted to buy GatorSC's Yammie 70 for sale on the TP. I might can unload this Nissan and come close to breaking even, although I'd have ti find a tiller handle and convert it. But I need to figure something out, cause I was hoping for more than just 26 mph outta this thing.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHuo0ScZV8[/ame]
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

You go boy. I'm pretty sure I just need the right prop. Besides, I'm saving for a new gun.

For what its worth, what prop worked best on this hull with the 50?
    13 pitch powertech 5700 empty, 39.something topspeed, averaged 37.5

You really do need a 70 on that hull though.
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    You really do need a 70 on that hull though.
    Regeared also.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    Just for shits and giggles, have you checked the compression on the motor?

No but can I have this done without it costing me too much? I assume the local dealership?
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-19-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Find somebody with a set of gauges. If not let me know and if I get any time off soon we can check it. Doesn't take 5 minutes.

Default Re: Motor experts, need help setting up

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Find somebody with a set of gauges. If not let me know and if I get any time off soon we can check it. Doesn't take 5 minutes.
    This or you can put a deposit down on them at O'Reilly's to use a loaner set.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Default Re: Motor experts, need help setting up

I have a set.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Just go buy a cheap compression gauge at oreillys or auto zone. At @ $20 bucks you will use it again. If you ever have any problems with a motor its a good place to start looking

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Hell come look at the 70 and bring yours. We can compression check it, got all that stuff. If we got time I'll turn you loose on my 1652 G3, its got a 70. You'll have bugs in your teeth when you get back from smiling!

Dan forwarded me to the guys at Powertech and he's sending me a SCB12 pitch semi cleaver. Said it would help my boat run a little flatter like it should to keep the nose down, and get my RPMs right.

I hope it works out cause as much as I'd love to spend the money for the that 70, I'm trying to avoid it. But if this boat doesn't hit 30mph+ with this new prop, it just may force my hand.
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]