Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Collars

So Labluvr, it would then be permissable to electrocute small children to "save thier lives" as well? Sure would keep THEM out of the road to lay a little voltage on em wouldn't you think?

What about changeing your spouses behavior? Every time you get your Visa bill you stand on the juice. Would that form of "corrective behavior" be ok?

I don't dispute the fact that the electro shock therapy WORKS. I am just asking the simple question why is it ok to electrocute one seemingly loved member of the family and not another? If it is cruel for one it has to be cruel for all??? Or do you not consider your dogs members of the family and see them more as a tool like, say, a gun or dove stool?

I definately view my dog as a tool...though my wife won't have any part of that philosophy. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd rather have a mute button than a shock collar as standard equipment on women.

In fact, I need to go out and beat him right now. Its time for our morning beating/training session. I'll get back to you and let you know if I draw any blood.

JAB,

You ain't electrocuting anything. The amount of stimulus my dog needs is akin to the feel of static off of carpet etc. I give my dog every chance to react properly prior to the using the collar. The collar is a last resort. Matter of fact,I may have used the collar twice all of last year. Remember though, I use the vibrate feature 99% of the time. To me, that is the most humane measure to get the result I need. And again, I rarely use the collar unless the dog has failed to listen to a command and is in some type of danger.

And yes, I love my dog dearly!! Never do I do anything to abuse her etc. But, to save her life I will use whatever means it takes.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

My dog is a pet not a beneficiary on a life insurance policy. All family members are not equal. Period. If I had to kill 3 of my dogs to save a child I would, wouldn't think twice about it. But if I had 4 kids I wouldn’t kill 3 of them to save 1 dog or 1 child.

A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy…is that the philosophy?
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Originally posted by Candor:
    A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy…is that the philosophy?
    I've been called a pig and a dog before so that could possibly read "a boy is a pig and sometimes a dog" or "the pig dog boy is back...don't let him near the keg again".

I'd shock children. When I first showed my mom a shock collar, she lamented the fact that they hadn't been invented while I and my brothers were still young. I'm sure she'd have had one on each of us, and probably Dad too.

I've shocked my wife with the shock collar. She had a pulled muscle in her neck that was aggravating her and I talked her into letting me numb it with the shock collar, much like doctors often use electronic stimulation to soothe muscles. It actually worked but she didn't like me bragging to friends about her being such a good obedient wife.

About the only creature that's been shocked on high intensity with my collars has been me. I wouldn't put anything on my dog that I thought was too severe and the only way to know is to test it on oneself.

If it wasn't politically incorrect, I think a shock collar would be a fantastic aid for teaching kids, especially when they're too young to reason. If I had toddlers that had any chance of slipping away from me and making it to the busy road at the end of my driveway, I'd certainly take advantage of an invisible fence system. It worked for my dog. I used it because I love the dog and it was the safest and most humane way to teach him the boundaries.

My dog loves his shock collar. He knows it means we're about to do something important. I rarely have a need to correct him more than a verbal warning, on or off collar.

Tommy

Candor,
    I have owned and trained dogs for 20 years and am just now in need of a collar. My 6 year old lab has decided to beat up and bully my 8 yr old lab, and the 8 yr old has health problems and is unable to defend himself. The younger keeps biting the older one on the nose, keeping it ripped up and swollen, no stitches yet by $30 worth of antibiotics so far.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my kennels and am unable to keep them seperated all the time. Right now I lock the older one in my shop. There has never been an issue like this, they've snarled and snapped some like males will do but nothing like this, they always got along real well before.

My training is for personal pleasure, I have never tried to go the next level to competing but would be interested if I get a dog that I believe is that good. Hunting is just so much more with a good dog.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Scars are just tatoos with better stories !!!

Originally posted by Palmetto Bug:
    My dog loves his shock collar. He knows it means we're about to do something important.
    If your dog loves his collar you've got him right were you want him and you've done a good job conditioning him. My dog does airplane spins when I put the collar on him. He knows that bumpers, dokens, or some form of birds are in his immediate future.

Some lab lover you are, Labluvr. Mean, cruel man zapping his dog just for kicks, no doubt...

The trainer that is currently training my dog is a Sportdog pro staffer and gets to try all the new prototypes. He uses the 1800 when he trains, but he also has one of the new 2000 trainers. When I get my dog back from him in December I am going to have him order me a 2000 trainer so that my lab doesnt forget what one is and I can continue to train her at home. Just my .02.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Jab- I don't shock pupppies. When kids are old enough to do anything wrong, you can reason with them and explain what is going on and why they are being punished in other ways than electrical shock. You can't reason with a dog!

Dogs and other animals, are condintioned by stimulus from their environment. (Pavlov's Principles) Kids LEARN and REASON.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Does this mean I'm not supposed to be shocking my child? How am I going to get him to take a bath now?

Duckaholic...the Sport 50 would likely be a good bet for you. Your projected use is more what I would consider "breaking" rather than training but this collar should work. Keep in mind that you don't just strap it on him and start jolting him. If you are going to use it for training you must teach him how to respond to the burn.

The best bet on price would be to e-mail mark@coonriverkennels.com and ask him for his price. Tell him "Candor" from the Refuge referred you to him for the Refuge discount.

Let us know your next questions...?
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Thanks Candor, I'll check with him.
    Scars are just tatoos with better stories !!!

IMO, Tri Tronics or Dogtra is the only choice.
    I bought an EDT Super Dog, to try to save money. It would not work at a range of over about 20 yards, even after I sent it back to the factory twice. I then bought a Tri Tronics Classic 70 that works perfectly. I have since gotten a Dogtra 200 Gold, for my female AWS. It works very well, also.
    If you'll ask the pro trainers, they all use either TT or Dogtra.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)