Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Late season dates and limits

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    Hooded Mergansers?

And Relentous get over it
    He "ONLY" shoots feet down ducks anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I am disremembering.

I am slightly embarrassed, now.

Carry on.
    Memory is the second thing to go. The good news is that you forget what went first.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Call me what you like, but I'm mildly irritated that there is a youth day before regular duck season.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Call me what you like, but I'm mildly irritated that there is a youth day before regular duck season.
    Agreed, but at the same time I see what their trying to do. They just want the kids to get a decent shot..

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfowler View Post
    Agreed, but at the same time I see what their trying to do. They just want the kids to get a decent shot..
    When folks my age were growing up, we got decent shots on the first day of duck season just like everyone else.

Kids can get decent shots every single day of regular duck season. Put both youth days in February. Not one before, not during the split.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I knew that wouldnt last.

2 cans again, be zero next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I knew that wouldnt last.

2 cans again, be zero next year.
    Yeap. Just like cranking up the scaup limit after one good breeding season was dumb.

Yearling ducks don't usually make good mommas. So, setting the limit higher after a one-year spike in the population (the spike is all yearling ducks) means that AHM doesn't allow the birds in that spike to successfully replace themselves. I really think AHM should look at a two or three year trend before increasing any internal bag limits.

Why hasn't SC gone to 2 Hooded Mergansers?
    The same reason that NM didn't allow us a 2nd can and for the same reason that NM only has an 8 day teal season...
    Last edited by quackaddict; 08-21-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I just re-read our proposal for out here, and apparently we're allowed a full limit of scaup. These morons don't have anything about in the proposal about scaup.
    http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/comm...ame%20Bird.pdf

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that we actually have a SEASON for Eurasian Collared doves...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I've long been a vocal advocate of SC taking advantage of the entire federal framework. However, when it comes to hooded mergansers I’m fine with SC only allowing one. The reason is simple; I disgusted by the attitude most ‘hunters’ have towards hooded mergansers. Why add an extra bird to the bag that’s just going to be killed for something to shoot at then thrown away? It’s really no different than shooting tamies – killing for the sake of killing.

Yes, good hunters are having opportunity taken away because of slob hunters but we'll lose this sport if we don't learn to police ourselves.

By the way, hooded mergansers are fine eating.

(This is not directed at Squatty - he knows all of this. I just used his comment as a chance to climb on a personal soap box.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've long been a vocal advocate of SC taking advantage of the entire federal framework. However, when it comes to hooded mergansers I’m fine with SC only allowing one. The reason is simple; I disgusted by the attitude most ‘hunters’ have towards hooded mergansers. Why add an extra bird to the bag that’s just going to be killed for something to shoot at then thrown away? It’s really no different than shooting tamies – killing for the sake of killing.

Yes, good hunters are having opportunity taken away because of slob hunters but we'll lose this sport if we don't learn to police ourselves.
    I whole-heartedly agree.

SC has a lot of hooded mergansers, much more than other states around us.
    If we opened up another bird, this would likely leave more ducks tossed in the grass.

late to this party, but i hate to see 2 bluebills. Favorite bird to take.
    Last edited by arleen1013; 08-21-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I just re-read our proposal for out here, and apparently we're allowed a full limit of scaup. These morons don't have anything about in the proposal about scaup.
    Here's a summary of the changes from last year's framework to this season by flyway:

Atlantic flyway
    2 scaup
    2 cans

Mississippi
    3 scaup
    2 cans

Central
    3 scaup
    2 cans
    8 Canadas in the eastern tier states

Pacific
    3 scaup 86 days
    2 cans
    20 white geese
    10 dark geese

To keep you from wasting ammo !
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Here's a summary of the changes from last year's framework to this season by flyway:

Atlantic flyway
    2 scaup
    2 cans

Mississippi
    3 scaup
    2 cans

Central
    3 scaup
    2 cans
    8 Canadas in the eastern tier states

Pacific
    3 scaup 86 days
    2 cans
    20 white geese
    10 dark geese
    I know that we are only allowed 3 scaup(we'll probably only get 2 here), I was just saying that they left that out of the proposals so anyone reading the regs isn't going to know that we can only kill 2/3. Of course, most NM "duck hunters" and rabbit sherrifs can't ID a duck to save their lives.

BTW, where do you find this stuff RH? I never can seem to find it online.
    Last edited by quackaddict; 08-22-2013 at 09:13 AM.

I know that we are only allowed 3 scaup(we'll probably only get 2 here), I was just saying that they left that out of the proposals so anyone reading the regs isn't going to know that we can only kill 2/3. Of course, most NM "duck hunters" and rabbit sherrifs can't ID a duck to save their lives.

A guy on another site did the comparison between last season and this season's frameworks.

TTT - The DNR webpage now shows a possession limit of 6 on pintail.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I'll take it! Now to figure out a good late season destination for Green Wings and Shovelers. I don't have pictures of Daisy retrieving either species.
    I can put you on some king Spoonies and GWT here in Jan...

Where did you find info on frameworks for other flyways?

I got it from RH*