Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A400 chokes

Default A400 chokes

Is anyone shooting Briley chokes in their Beretta? Have a Patternmaster and am considering something else. Looking for a skeet tube specifically.

Thanks.

Most of mine are stock. I do have a few Seminoles, the only reason I have them are laziness.

Kquinn...let me know if you find out anything. I bought an A400 a few months ago. I have been pondering the same thing. Would like to order a close range and mid range steel choke

Did it not come with any chokes?

Yes it comes with chokes

I will say this, the aftermarket choke companies do a good job at convincing people they need their chokes to kill shit. Unfortunately shooting instructors do a very poor job of marketing their services.

The shooter is the weak link.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I will say this, the aftermarket choke companies do a good job at convincing people they need their chokes to kill shit. Unfortunately shooting instructors do a very poor job of marketing their services.

The shooter is the weak link.
    I can kill shit just fine with factory chokes. What I don't like is having to constantly take a quarter or a choketube wrench and retighten my flush fitting choke tubes while I am shooting. It's a lot easier to grab the choke and tighten it from the outside. Same thing goes for checking what choke I have in it. If I spend $1800 on a gun...I don't mind spending $60 more on a choke tube.

They come with cylinder, mod and full. I like a skeet or Imp cyl, and actually love improved skeet which is even between those. Even on some of the other forums, others who shoot clays regularly have talked about the gap in the supplied chokes and how a U2 by Muller seems to be one of the best all around tubes for that gun.

I have actually paper patterned the cyl and mod factory tubes and am looking for something in between. At the time I bought the paternmaster, it was one of the few aftermarket chokes available, but it is closer to the modified factory tube in pattern.

That was the one thing that pissed me off about the gun. An $1800 gun doesn't come with 5 choke tubes? That's poor in my opinion.

Ill be looking into the muller chokes. I may order a briley light modified as well for ducks. Ill let you know how it patterns. I may take the gun to sylvania and have the guys at kicks make me a turkey choke for the gun before turkey season.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 08-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.

I run a light mod pure gold in my A400. Quinn, you still go that Vinci?

I tend to shoot light mod for everything, clays, ducks, doves, geese and crows and never feel under choked or over choked. Mod is also a great all around choke. I understand about chokes coming lose while shooting, all guns and chokes do this except for fixed chokes. Applying greese helps to a certain degree.

Never heard of improved skeet. Skeet is .005 and improved cylinder is .010 so I don't know how another constriction would fit in there.

The people that shoot muellers really like them and they are very light. I've always been happy with Trulock and Briley. The mueller U2 is actually light mod. Just don't get carried away with all the fancy wiz-bang super duper ported chokes out there. They won't make you a better shooter and really are no different than standard chokes.

I don't change out chokes. I'm not Gander nor Fish in the shooting world, but it bothers the shit out of me when I see a guy changing a choke at every station.

Take the choke away and the threads do a great job of slowing the wad and getting a terrific spread out of your shot.

Don't do this. I am only kidding. Every 16 YO boy here is now going to go home and screw up guns.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Improved Skeet is a Remington only from what I have found and it is .007

Don't laugh RP but many clay shooters will take a choke out in a heartbeat when presented with a close rabbit. There is a lot of disagreement on whether it jacks up the threads or not.

.007 is really splitting hairs. I don't think you could tell a difference on the patterning board. The general rule for choke is to use enough that gives you confidence. There is no magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I don't change out chokes. I'm not Gander nor Fish in the shooting world, but it bothers the shit out of me when I see a guy changing a choke at every station.
    I have seen this before....add it to my list of shit that irritates me.

Default A400 chokes

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    There is no magic.
    Nailed it. It's all a gimmick. All of it. And I have those aftermarket chokes, but its still a gimmick to make yourself more confident. The best medicine is a correct mount, swing etc. that can only be taught by an experienced instructor.

All I shoot anymore is a pair of modified chokes. I don't change chokes. If I point the gun at the right spot, the target breaks regardless of the choke.

Anything advertised to strip the wad is disingenuous. This is a made up concept. That wad is going to be right there with the shot charge until the petals open and air friction separates it from the charge.

But let's take logic and physics out of this discussion. You should shoot whatever gives you confidence.

I shoot a patternmaster code black decoy choke in my a400. Patterns like improved. Unreal how consistent it is. Parter is similar to the factory improved mod choke but counted upwards of 20-30 more pellets on 30" circle with the PM choke. I'm a believer in their stud ring technology!