Thread: Settle this for me....will ya

Picked up a beautiful lil male choc lab from S&A last week, been trying to decide 2 things. I figure I would post it and let the majority of seasoned fellas give me the pointers...

1) Name: Tag or Deisel? I like Deisel the best, but the pup likes Tag. Met a worthless dog in MS named tag that would rather lick his nutz than fetch a duck....meaning I had to fetch em. I don't want the dog to be named afta a worthless mut....

2) Training: Pro or DIY(Doit Yourself)...I want to do it myself with a lil help from a pro. But I want him to be a good dag so bad I am stupid enoug h to pay the outrageuous fees to have him trained....I am outta place in Raleigh and would have to pick trainers by Word of Mouth really.

Any help would be nice....I know there is someone out there with .02 for the collection plate!
    [img]graemlins/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

If you name him Diesel... spell it right. Bring that little dog back. I miss him!!!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I vote for the name Tag. I grew up with a Boxer named Tag. Best damn dog I ever saw great watch dog great with kids and would whoop the shit out of every shunk he came a cross. and get this we would hunt ditch chickens with him. He grew up with a pointer my grand father had. He would quarter in front of you and then flush and retreive the birds. Great dog.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Ouch! that hurtz.....never claimed I was a speller....Hell, I have never claim to be anything!

Thanx S&A, I knew you ole' guyz were good for something.....LMAO!

aka ttm

[ 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Mergie Master ]
    Did you see that?

i hate to agree with gundogguru (LOL) but i like tag too!!! as for training if you got plenty of time and patients (if i spelled it wrong too damn bad!!) then thats the way to go. my thoughts are your going to spend just about the same when you start buying all the crap you need.... but in the end you can say "thats my dog, i trained him to do that!!"
    it flies it dies

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Originally posted by kneedeep:
    Ouch! that hurtz.....never claimed I was a speller....Hell, I have never claim to be anything!

Thanx S&A, I knew you ole' guyz were good for something.....LMAO!

aka ttm
    Don't give Sushi too much credit.....www.dictionary.com is just a click away for him! He's probably hit that site more than Michael Jackson has hit on little boys! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

that was cold mergie!! jackson didn't do it, they proved it!! LOL
    it flies it dies

Yeah the collection plate is kinda empty, not a worthy post I guess??? WTF

Givem hell MM!

Seeing as how the dog came from Sasha, the most appropriate name for the dog would be....."Horns" or "DumbFuck".

Sasha can explain the horn thing, and the dumbfuck deal after shooting at a hawg on an ATV. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tapdance.gif[/img]
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Why was the Hawg on the ATV anyway. [img]graemlins/10_9_132.gif[/img]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

climpsin still sucks.
    DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and FISH is an asshole
    SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Cause Shushi is weird that way! He tells gay jokes too! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Well him and ole BB must a done somethin right, dat is a smart lil pup, but WTF do I know hey? Not much, I know he want hunt this year, but next year........he will be ready.

Train him your self if all you are after is a hunting dog and maybe a modest test dog. Hell trian himself your self anyways if have the persistence. (prolly spelld thet wrongue) You have some good trainers up there and a few hours drive can bring you down my way. I gained acess to about 6 ponds over the weekend, all in Albemarle, and we own a good bit of land to work on.
    Trying to come up with a few wingers or an Air King launcher or 2.

LOL- wish I could get a photo of a hog on a 4 wheeler.

Tag sounds like fag and diesel is used by all the [img]graemlins/afro.gif[/img] so that they can tell everyone that "my dog is cock diesel boyeee". [img]graemlins/smoke18.gif[/img]

Seriosly, one syllable names are much easier for working dogs.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

I think I am settled with naming him "Bartley's Swift Creek Diesel Fuel"

I will call him "D"

As for training, I am going to try it myself, I think between joining echrc and doing alot of reading and video watching, I should be able to do it.

Hey DR did you get the email from Mike Eagan? Will you be able to meet during the week?

Mike did not email me about meeting in the week. Unless ya'll have an inbetween place, 2 hrs is too much after work. weekends are good, especially once my dad gets moved to albemarle in August
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

IT all depends!! It depends on what you want from the dog, how much time you have, your ability to be patient, your ability to learn and your finances. You probably can take money out of it because you are going to spend a bunch either way. Only you know about your time, patients and ability. You will also need to determine what your goals are for the dog. This may make your decision easy. I think the best of both worlds is to work with a pro trainer to learn what you are doing. You get knowledge and training and they get free labor. If you decide to do it on your own I would suggest Evan Grahams Smartwork series. They are easy to follow and Evan is very knowledgeable.
    Good Luck

Stick with a 1 syllable name- the dog will respond better. If you just want a hunting dog to bring your birds train him yourself. If you want a compotition dog send him to someone who trains for compotitions. If you train him yourself get the "Waterdog" video or book---it really helps! I used the video and ended up with a bird fetching machine--she wouldn't win a compotition but she's hell in the field!
    And Thats Another Story

Candor and I had a conversation about a year ago when I was in your position. The difference being, I had already dropped my pup off at a trainer who will remain nameless, but is a rank amateur to be nice. Trust me, do it yourself. You will save a great deal of money and also get more out of the dog if you put a reasonable amount of time into it. The bond formed between the trainer and the trainee is strong, and I feel like the dog needs to atleast know that the person putting the pressure on him is his buddy. If anything- FF the dog under your tutelage. If that is not possible, be present as much as possible. It goes a long way.