Thread: Dehydrated Okra

Default Dehydrated Okra

Anyone else a fan?

I did it up w/ EVOO, and a chili/lime seasoning.

Damn shame I gotta wait 24 hours for this shit!

(PS -- sorry for the crappy picture; my wife can't take pictures worth a damn!)

That's some good stuff right there! Gotta love some dehydrated okra!

I did three trays worth. Two are halved, then the third is sectioned.

We did twelve jars of pickled okra the other night. Put half a jalepeno into each jar.

Okra seems like it's about the only veggie out there that's impossible to mess up: fry it, dry it, stew it, pickle it... Well, I guess raw probably ain't too great; having said that, I don't think there are many veggies out there that are good in all forms.

Never tried it like that. I don't have a dehydrator, but I guess an oven would work just as good.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Love it. I have a friend that loves eating okra raw.
    Last edited by Uncle Bubba; 07-20-2013 at 02:05 PM.

I always eat a piece or two while I'm picking it.

Default Dehydrated Okra

Oakrees are the greatest food ever.

Love some fried okra and i love it in my seafood and chicken gumbo too

I'm anxious to find out how well it works.

I tried dehydrating some whole but after about 12 hours, it was shrunken, still slightly moist and tough as hell. I have a suspicion that the stuff I've bought is actually fried and not simply dehydrated.

I love raw okra but it will give you the trots.

PB -- you must be speakin' of Trader Joe's stuff?

FWIW, it came out freakin' awesome. I don't have an after pic, but think of a 75% reduction in size. I ate that top tray when it was complete. It was awesome! The chili/lime seasoning I did was oustanding. I don't know where I got it, but I'm gonna have to find some more.

I did the okra for 23 hours at 130*.

Four people have had it thus far. All of them thought it was excellent. We got 9.5lbs. for $11.00. I think we might just get some more so I can do it up. If I do, I'm gonna do a bacon/ranch and a BBQ one. I'm also gonna try to see how well they do whole.

Thanks for the results report. I'm going to give it another try based on your success.

The stuff I was talking about was from Piggly Wiggly and Earth Fair. It's really not greasy enough to be fried. I wonder if it's freeze dried?

A little bit of olive oil goes a long way; remember that when doing it.

Next time, I'm probably gonna over pack the dehydrator. I was kinda shocked to see how much space there was afterwards. I might need to up the time slightly since there'd be less air flow; I'll see what happens.

I think the ones you're talking about have been flash fried or something. They're slightly oiled, right? I know they're like manna down from Heaven. Damn those things are good. I gotta find out to replicate them!

Vacuum fried. Looks like raw okra but dried out? And awesome? Vacuum fried is the method. I tried dehydrating some and it was terrible. I threw it out. Williams Sonoma has some great chili lime rub. Got some as a gift. Was damn good on wings!

man ,I've eaten it raw pretty good that way too.