Thread: Training Guide for Dad

I need a little help... I want to buy my dad a guide to whistle train our standard poodle. Before all of the poodle jokes start, the dog has been through obedience school and done quite well, and this is our second poodle. The first was a quality retriever, but never whistle or signal trained.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.
    Carla Dee

insert poodle joke here:

______________________._____________________
    ________________._____
    _________________________.____________

___________.__________
    _________.____________________________.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I am a strong advocate of Mike Lardy's training methods. Mike has a manual of articles that is available for $25 and then a set of videos that is $140.

Both cheap compared to a month with a pro.

Try this link: http://www.ybsmedia.com/mikelardy.html

Mike's program is very systematic and works very well for different dog types. It lays out the steps, the problems you are likely to encounter, and how you should respond.

The video may fly over your head if you have not trained a dog before. There is a lot of information thrown at you at once.

Poodle's were bread for duck hunting off of Long Island if my trivia is correct. No jokes here.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Candor, thanks for the help. I will look into those videos. Sounds like it may be a little over Dad's head - he's 78 and stubborn as hell. He's trained labs, goldens, chessies, and wiemeraners, but never with the help of a guide.

And you are right about the heritage of the poodle, although some will disagree if they were bred as water dogs in Germany, France, or Long Island. My dog that passed, Blue, was a pretty darn good retriever, but not a huge fan of the cold water. He would endure it, but he would shiver like a sissy in wet waders.

And Toofer, this one is for you... [img]graemlins/devil-flip.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]
    Carla Dee