Thread: 2 dog questions

Default 2 dog questions

1. Should I force fetch my new dog? He retrieves fine now, but he is only a pup and has had only a handful of birds shot over him. ( He is a GSP ) used mostly for upland.

2. Should I snake break the dog? Where does one have this training take place in or around Columbia SC?

Thanks for insight.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    1. Should I force fetch my new dog? He retrieves fine now, but he is only a pup and has had only a handful of birds shot over him. ( He is a GSP ) used mostly for upland.

2. Should I snake break the dog? Where does one have this training take place in or around Columbia SC?

Thanks for insight.
    Should you, I dont know... but it sure made the training process much easier with my lab. My goal was to train a respectable retriever 100% on my own. I did it, and I think the force fetch process was an important part of that process .
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

I have GSP's and have had several over the years. Force fetch training is nothing more than teaching the dog that retrieving is his job not just something he can do when he feels like it. He will still love his job. I've had both and force breaking is much better.

If you can, it's a damn good idea to snake break your dog. Aside from teaching him not to play with them, it will also keep him from pointing them. I've had that happen a couple times and it's no fun when you realize the bird you are trying to flush is a snake.

I do my own snake breaking however handling venomous snakes is not something I recommend. I wish there was someone who did it locally. I wish someone would talk the guy at the Edisto Serpentarium into having periodic clinics.