Thread: Compulsive Licking

My Yellow Lab that is about three years old and has recently started to lick constantly. Couches, carpets, floors, everything. I've tried to get her to stop, but she will get down and pretend to lick her paws, but really licks the floor. Is this a sign of some sort of vitamin deficiency, or nothing to worry about?

Put out a salt lick.

You need to take her to a vet. It may be a simple deficiency in her diet, or something more complex. Only a good qualified vet coud pinpoint the problem. I would not let it go if it persist more than a few days.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

often times it can be a sign of a nervous disorder. might need some doggie Prosac.

Is the dog at home alone much of the day? maybe it just needs a little more attention and to get outside more often....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

conduct a marriage ceremony. That has been widely known to be pretty much failsafe to conduct any sort of oral fixation.

In all seriousness there have been many things linked to this sort of "disorder". I haven't heard of enough cases to see a common link. Often it is just boredom and exercise can reduce or eliminate it.

conduct a google search on it and you will see that there are a lot of theories on why it happens.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Originally posted by Candor:
    conduct a marriage ceremony. That has been widely known to be pretty much failsafe to conduct any sort of oral fixation.
    Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I agree....feed her some wedding cake ! This is a sure way to cure any oral interest!

[img]graemlins/iagree.gif[/img]
    student and child prodigy of the "Professor's" duckology!

Originally posted by Candor:
    [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] You very clever boy.

I guess we'll just get her married up as soon as possible. Ha

what about a dog that licks his paws alot so that they stay somewhat raw in b/t his pads? any ideas or suggestions?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

i thought the same thing about wedding cake. Hee Hee!

seriously, I had a dog that would lick the floor in certain places, especially the corners, and would eat the dirt out of potted plants. solved it by changing his diet... apparently it was some sort of vitamin defficiency or something.

he still licked, but nothing like he did before we changed his food to Nutro. And for God sakes, man, don't by your dog food at the grocery store. Nutro, Black Diamond, Royale Canine, etc. foods are more expensive but worth it. They eat less, crap less, and have a much better coat and build.