Thread: Chufa planting time

Default Chufa planting time

When do y'all plant your Chufa? I've heard now through August around here. Any tips for a first time chufa planter? I've been asking all around, but the more knowledge/tips the better.

My friends in Hampton County plant in July. I'll be planting mine in Colleton and in Barnwell County.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Plant it now. July is awful late (90-100 day). Fertilize the hell out of it. Make sure the areas you plant have plenty of sun. Pray there are no hogs anywhere near where you are planting it. 50lbs/acre if you are broadcasting or 30lbs/acre if using a planter. Peanut plates if using a planter. Soak the seed over night before you plant it.

It grows best is sandy soils. You dont want clay type soils if you can help it.
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 05-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

We plant our in late May/Early June.. This year we are planning June 8.

I will agree with Rhett's comments. I would consider spraying the plots ahead of time to eliminate competition from weeds. Although Chufa is a nutsedge itself, it does not appear to do as well when competing with other weeds...

Plant heavily to insure food through the winter... seems that ours are all eaten by February.. We plant with a grain drill...it works well.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Where do you guys order your seed from? I have looked online, and called NWTF, everywhere I have tried is sold out.

NM, just saw the other thread asking the same question.

We plant our deep in mid july, hampton cty. I pray the swine leaves it along till january.....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I always heard July

Planted mine last year on July 28th. It did well. I planted late like that to lower the chances of weed competition.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Default Chufa planting time

Started discing, spraying, and fertilizing last week. Now is the time to start getting it in the ground ...now until the middle of June. Plant early enough now and make a mistake...you still have time to make another run at it again before its too late.

The absolute most important thing regarding Chufa is spraying a pre-emergent before planting!!! if you're going to try to cut a corner anywhere along the prepping/planting/growing process, for God's sake this is not the corner to cut.....

Treflan!!!!! is your friend and Treflan is responsible for more Chufa patches making it than any other ingredient in the equation...weeds/grasses will straight up strangle the fuck outta Chufa and royally decrease chances of maximum potential ..especially during the first 30-45 days during the growing period

If you're not doing a soil test ...fertilize moderate-heavy...400lbs of 10-10-10 per acre...minimum of 300lbs/acre. If you haven't already limed your dirt than don't even bother wasting your time and money this year. We usually lime around February and do a ton/acre. Sandy soils are best!! Every several years they'll haul in a load or two of sand and cut it into the soil. Every time a new plot is put in they'll be at least a load of sand cut into the ground no matter the soil consistency.

Once Chufa is up and "making it" spray for broadleaf with 2,4 D-B...it's a "special" form of 2,4 D...can't remember what the "B" stands for but it's probably something gay...the 2-4 D-B is "easier" and not as hard on the Chufa..if that makes sense. Use 1.5pint/acre.

Also spray for grasses too. To keep the grasses knocked down use Poast Plus...or something similar. Use 1.5pint/acre.

If you're spending all this money and time on seed, fertilizer, and lime ...you're basically shooting yourself in the crank if you choose not to spray. At least spray a pre-emergent if nothing else...it's the most crucial step in growing the expensive turkey meth. The majority of the tubers form about a month after the shoots start popping up...

We use spreaders on some plots and grain drills on others...really depends on the size/shape of the plot.

Spreaders -
    general rule of thumb is 50lbs/acre. Some of the patches get more or less than 50lbs/acre just depends on that patches past history. ..cover with a disk harrow and make damn sure you cover good.

Grain drills -
    25lbs/acre...can't remember but I think depth set point is right at 1.5" ...may be higher or lower..someone may want to double-check that before some fucktard blames me for his chufa not sprouting into a luscious green cloud ....important thing is just make sure it's deep enough...rather it be too deep than too shallow.

I help plant,roughly, 4 - 5 dozen Chufa patches a year from Bamberg to Darlington and everywhere in between...I've fucked up enough patches than I care to think about for one reason or another over the years. I know Chufa

KNO DAT
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.