Thread: SWamp Rabbits

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default SWamp Rabbits

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xofon2x86xU[/ame]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Thanks for posting that Merg. I can't tell you how bad I miss hearing a pack of hounds(or mini hounds) running something through a swamp. That's good music right there.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Is that guy talking from jersey?

Boy....I miss chasing rabbits with beagles.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

You'd just shoot the little ones anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You'd just shoot the little ones anyway.
    No, the fag ones.....

Fuck Purdue

That's right.

But I'm a smart ass so what do I know.

We won't be dealing with that again.

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Thanks for posting that Merg. I can't tell you how bad I miss hearing a pack of hounds(or mini hounds) running something through a swamp. That's good music right there.
    No doubt!

I really miss my little hounds running a cane cutter.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

That's something I'd pay good money for right there.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Those don't look like the cane cutters we kill on our place. I wonder why those don't have a lot of black on them? Mergie do you have any idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Quote Originally Posted by Grebe View Post
    Those don't look like the cane cutters we kill on our place. I wonder why those don't have a lot of black on them? Mergie do you have any idea?
    I was thinking the same thing. All the cane cutters I ever saw or killed were darker than those and seemed to have bigger back feet. I've heard some people call the ones we hunted black tails or black rabbits. He killed one that was fairly big but most that he held up weren't as big as most of the cane cutters I've been around. I have seen some that would have made 5 lbs easily.

Swamp rabbits/cane cutters have much different habits than an old dry land cottontail. Those suckers can swim like a duck and will in a heartbeat.

I've seen them go underwater too. My dad and I were hunting a swamp that had been logged one day years ago. The beagles were running hot then lost the scent. There were big water filled tire ruts all over the bottom where logging equipment had sunk down in the mud. The beagles were circling around and around one area of ruts trying to pick up the scent. When dad and I got to where the dogs were milling around he pointed to a dark spot sticking out of the water in one of the ruts. There were little ripples coming off the spot. I asked my dad what it was and he said it was the rabbit the dogs were looking for, I didn't believe it until he shot that spot and blew face off the cane cutter. It was underwater with just it's nose sticking up so it could breathe. Amazed the heck out of me!

I saw one walk on water once too, actually it was running on water. I was hunting woodies in a big beaver pond and waded out to stand beside a big tree. There was a log laying in the water with grass growing on it. When I waded close to it a cane cutter busted out of the grass, ran the length of the log, then hit water running wide open. It went about 5 yards across the water then turned toward the back and threw a small 'rooster tail' when it turned. Then it hit the bank and disappeared in the woods. It had run almost 15 yards on the water.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-22-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I just now googled cane cutter and saw something I didn't know. I knew we had two species of rabbits, the cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus) and the swamp rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus).

But it turns out we have 4. We have a marsh rabbit (Sylvilagus palustris) and the Appalachian cottontail (Sylvilagus obscurus).

It said the marsh rabbit is smaller than the cottontail or cane cutter.

The Appalachian Cottontail is considered rare and maybe even endangered. It only lives above 3000' from what I could find. And it's the smallest rabbit in the Southeast.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/cwcs/pdf/Appal...Cottontail.pdf
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-22-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Merge, you will appreciate this......all those road rabbits harvested at Uncle William's place.

This was back in the days before Greenwood even had Walmart or a bypass. My mom's mom had a brother that had a load of land I hunted and fished on. He used to own a lot what is now the Greenwood Bypass. There were certain businesses that he would not sell to. When he died, the remaining family got in a pissing contest and all was eventually sold.

Bottom line, have a will. A good one. Not one of these online pieces of crap. Talk to an attorney. Just Practisn is a good example of one who does this stuff. And plan for taxes. DO NOT let the government or pissed off family members get it.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.