Thread: Sandhills...

Default Sandhills...

A couple of us drew a tag. We can hunt the 27th - Nov 4th. I know where ALL the cranes in the area roost, but of course you can't hunt them there. You can hunt ducks/geese/snipe/etc there, but not cranes. Got to go scout and knock on doors to get access to fields. I've been told that this isn't hard...I guess we'll find out. Hopefully we'll kill a few. I'm excited to see if they taste as good as everyone says.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Besides cranes, though...Heading to AZ to pick up a new to me duck hearse this weekend. Going to camp in the White Mountains and hopefully get in a duck hunt Sat evening and Sunday morning. That'll give me hunts in all 4 flyways(and hopefully dead ducks in all 4 too). Supposedly the duck hunting can be pretty good up there. Hopefully there are already some birds in the mountains.

Duck season comes in the 24th here. Got a plan to add some Mexican mallards to the species list. I THINK I've got them somewhat figured out. I just have to drive the river and find orchards that are being flooded the evening before. There will be ducks in there the next morning, and I'll be going into work late. I might have to pass shoot them, but I want a few of them dead.

Then hopefully add some cranes and more ducks next weekend.

I'm glad it's that time, even though our water situation is in a real bad way this year. Found a lot of ducks last weekend, but don't know if we can get to them due to the mud/lack of water. It's going to be a trying season for sure.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

A mojo or 2 might be your best friend on those early season birds that haven't been hunted.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

The season opened up there on the 5th or 6th, so they've been hunted a little bit, but I don't know how much. I'm going to take the good ol mojo dove with me and see how they like it. The Mexicans here don't give two craps about a mojo. I've used one during teal season a couple of times and they never slowed down. The ones here act a lot like a mottled. They've got their minds made up as to where they want to go, and you aren't normally going to chance their minds.

The "PLOP" of your first crane hitting the ground is something you'll never forget. Sirloin in the sky.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

We call em "Ribeye of the Sky"..

Truly one of the birds that is not oversold as to quality of table fare.

We are headed to a place outside Lubbock, TX in January '13 for a Crane hunt. It's fun.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Back in the day I didn't have to travel to shoot whatever steaks in the sky....I cannot, however, write about it on the internet......
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue