Thread: Jack Plate question.

Default Jack Plate question.

I have a 1548 Express with a long shaft 40. The boat has a short transom so I put a jack plate on it. I have it jacked all the way up and when Im taking off the bow raises alot with it empty or with some weight on the front but eventually planes out. I also have the motor trimmed all the way down. Is this normal? It has about an 1 1/2 from the bottom of the boat and the cavitation plate which is what Ive been told it needed. Any advice to get it leveled out better?
    Non Supporting Member

What prop are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    What prop are you running?
    Have no clue. I know its factory. This isnt my area of expertise.
    Non Supporting Member

Almost sounds like too much prop. Specs on prop? Set back on jack plate? 3" setback, you are still way too low.
    I still fly that southern flag.
    Whistling Dixie loud enough to brag.

Quote Originally Posted by pokin'fun View Post
    Almost sounds like too much prop. Specs on prop? Set back on jack plate? 3" setback, you are still way too low.
    Its a 10.5x13 four blade prop. And Im guessing when you say set back you mean the set back of the motor from the jack plate which would be 5 1/2 inches from the transom.
    Non Supporting Member

Try tilting the motor up two holes and try it. That jack plate gives the motor a lot of leverage. Might not make since but it will help you on plane quicker. How long does it take you to get on plane? Do you have a three blade prop or can you borrow one in about a 12 or 13 pitch? 4 blade is probably an after market prop. As far as the motor height, you probably need to be 1.5" above with that much setback. Get it on plane and look back to see where the cavitation plate is, and how much spray is coming up. That'll tell ya if you need to go up more. Trial and error bubba.

I'm runnin almost the same plate on my 1448 polar kraft with a 30.
    Last edited by pokin'fun; 10-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokin'fun View Post
    Try tilting the motor up two holes and try it. That jack plate gives the motor a lot of leverage. Might not make since but it will help you on plane quicker. How long does it take you to get on plane? Do you have a three blade prop or can you borrow one in about a 12 or 13 pitch? 4 blade is probably an after market prop. As far as the motor height, you probably need to be 1.5" above with that much setback. Get it on plane and look back to see where the cavitation plate is, and how much spray is coming up. That'll tell ya if you need to go up more. Trial and error bubba.

I'm runnin almost the same plate on my 1448 polar kraft with a 30.
    It wont go up any further its all the way up now. It takes just a matter of seconds to get on plane at full throttle but if I want to run half throttle I almost have to look around the side of the boat to see. Its also hydraulic tilt and trim.
    Non Supporting Member

I don't see an issue here.... I can't see over my bow until she planes off either.

17' Excel.

If it's not bogging and taking forever to blow out of the hole, then I don't see any problem.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I don't see an issue here.... I can't see over my bow until she planes off either.

17' Excel.

If it's not bogging and taking forever to blow out of the hole, then I don't see any problem.
    Thats why Im asking if this is normal. But Ive never had this issue on any other boat Ive owned. The motor I have come off a 16' boat and I didnt have this issue just figured it would be the same.
    Non Supporting Member

Hell with tnt, you got that.

Have you tried trimming up some as you're getting up to speed? That should fix it

Im gonna change the prop which is needed anyways and play with it to see what happens.
    Non Supporting Member