Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Dakota Opener

Good stuff, great looking hound.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

MM I am sorry for jacking up your thread. Looks like the potholes are way down on the water this year. I'll be up there in a few weeks. I was upset I didn't get drawn for a duck stamp this year, but it looks like I might have gotten lucky with a tough year. My buddies who live up there said they have cut what corn was produced this year, and the pheasant numbers look good, what's your take? It's pretty cool hunting up there...you won't see anyone for miles sometimes. Welcome back...you won't miss it so much come January when it's -60 there

Several pot holes were hit hard but there is still water around. Find water, find ducks. It's really that easy. I spent most of time walking public lands finding holes that were farther away or a pain in the ass to get to and the were always holding duck. That last part kid my second day, I started out early in a well known spot thinking that there was no way it could be shot out by the second day, WRONG! Shot three ducks in three hours. Picked up my stuff and moved to a very secluded hole, walked in set up and was picking the decoys and last dead ducks up in thirty minutes. No lies. The pheasants are everywhere. Most of the corn and beans are cut so they have nowhere to hide except in the grasses. Go out at sunrise and listen to them, watch them move around a little, then let the pointer loose and load your gun.

My papa is heading up there in two weeks and I am thinking about jumping back in the truck with him for one last hoorah while I have a valid sd license. This cold front coming through now would be a great time to be there. Can't wait to get back up there for a few days.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

MM, if I were you I wouldn't think twice about hopping in the truck and heading back out. It might be fun to take your pops to a spot or two you scouted and kill some ducks with him as a last hoorah. Good luck, and shoot straight.

I guess its all gonna come down to if I can find a job by that time and if I can make it work... Being broke ain't fun fellas. And it'll damn sure put a stop to your duck hunting habits.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14