Thread: Its like christmas

Default Its like christmas

RALEIGH, N.C. (Aug. 28, 2012) — Dove hunters can get an early start on their hunts this year because the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission set new hours for the 2012-13 season.

The 2012-13 season for mourning and white-winged dove is Sept. 1 – Oct. 6; Nov. 19 – 24; and Dec. 15 – Jan. 11. Daily bag limit is 15 and possession limit is 30. Shooting hours are from a half hour before sunrise until sunset, including opening day.

This is a significant change from previous seasons, when shooting began at noon.

The Home From The HuntTM safety campaign is also reminding hunters to be safe in the field.

Do you guys still have to wait till noon this season?

Yep, still noon.

just the first three days
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I don't think it would change anything for me.. I enjoy afternoon hunts with grilling before each one. It is the highlight of my week. We won't shoot mornings until winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I don't think it would change anything for me.. I enjoy afternoon hunts with grilling before each one. It is the highlight of my week. We won't shoot mornings until winter.
    I love a daylight hunt.

I hope to get on some geese in the morning, eat lunch, take a nap, and then relax in my dove stool late in the afternoon.

Unless properly done, morning shoots will ruin a field. Learned this the hard way when I ran a dove club.

They have shootable numbers of white-wing doves in NC? I know there are ring-necked doves around...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    I love a daylight hunt.
    Ah, one thing we both agree on!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Unless properly done, morning shoots will ruin a field. Learned this the hard way when I ran a dove club.

They have shootable numbers of white-wing doves in NC? I know there are ring-necked doves around...
    I agree, however this big shoot we will go to is a field that will get hunted for 2 days only. Sat and Monday, then the EPA makes him till it under. and replant. Nothing to do with hunting. Its a field with grease trap containment system in it. 345 acres of millet and sunflowers.

Out of the 3 times we hunted last season, we had 5 white wings. They tend to be closer to the coast than I hunt from what i hear.

Is said field close to the triangle and if so, any room for another shooter on Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Is said field close to the triangle and if so, any room for another shooter on Monday?
    Yes, and should be. Its closer to you than it is me.

You need to holla at me anyway, I think I have an opening in a our lease if you are interested.

pm inbound

dove life

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    I love a daylight hunt.
    Oh, I still like them. I only went to two last year though, and one was at our field. We normally only hunt it once or twice in the morning a year.

Oh, I still like them. I only went to two last year though, and one was at our field. We normally only hunt it once or twice in the morning a year.
    HS, Bless me with a Godo Dove Marinade. I been using the same one so Long, I need something different. I wanna grill em. and shoot another limit

I like the whole grilled and split with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I use to do a bake with them as well, but it overcooks them, and I grew tired of it. Dove chowder? Doves and grits? I still like the breasts cut off the bone and seared to a medium rare to rare. I'm going to slap stockpile some birds this year. I've been cleaning guns, organizing shit, looking at my belt, doing shell counts, dreaming of a way to get my old lab on one more shoot, I've already planned lunch for Sunday, I will be baking my mater pie like I do every opener for brunch, hell I'm about to drive out to Tamie World just to walk around, and goodness I'm gitty. It is the start of the season, the start of everything, shooting, hunting, and the joys of life rolled into one.

I like the whole grilled and split with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I use to do a bake with them as well, but it overcooks them, and I grew tired of it. Dove chowder? Doves and grits? I still like the breasts cut off the bone and seared to a medium rare to rare. I'm going to slap stockpile some birds this year. I've been cleaning guns, organizing shit, looking at my belt, doing shell counts, dreaming of a way to get my old lab on one more shoot, I've already planned lunch for Sunday, I will be baking my mater pie like I do every opener for brunch, hell I'm about to drive out to Tamie World just to walk around, and goodness I'm gitty. It is the start of the season, the start of everything, shooting, hunting, and the joys of life rolled into one.
    I do love this time of year. I have been getting things in order too.

Grilling them will overcook, but after a few red snappas, it wont matter too much.

The kids will naw them things off the bone.