Thread: What started bad, turned out good...

Default What started bad, turned out good...

So last Saturday(7/21/12) my father in law and I decided to take the boys fishing in the youth/kids tournament for his club. My oldest fishes with him all the time and this was going to be the youngests first tournament. So he was pretty excited and had been counting down the days to the tournament. Well Saturday morning 3:30am rolls around and they are raring to go! Me not so much, but after a few cups of coffee I'm getting there. So we are waiting on my FIL to pick us up at the house.

When he pulls up I smell something burning. A quick looking over reveals that the brakes on one side of the trailer are locked up and not releasing. We tried backing up and still no luck. We drive on toward the bait guys house and a couple miles down the road another check doesn't look good. FIL decides to call it and head for home. THe youngest starts sobbing about not being able to fish in the tournament and I feel really bad for him, and my FIL. So we stop one last time and looks like the brakes have released, so FIL decides we are going and at this point he says we'll drive it till it lockes up and brakes(this is a new westco trailer that he just got and has had 3 other issues with so he ain't real happy!) So we go get bait, and the wheel is hot, but not smoking anymore so off to the landing. It sizzled a little when it hit the water, but stayed together.

Hit the water and still made it on time for the start of the tournament. Head to the spot FIL wants to fish, and that's where we learn that we either forgot or lost bait net out of the boat. So I cut holes in a small bucket and start dipping bait. Winds are blowing pretty good, but it doesn't take long and we get a rod down, the youngest jumps on it and I help him reel in the fish, which tangles up almost every rod we had down. We get that cleared up and before we know it we have another then another. Now things are turning around and the boys are having a blast.

Ended up with about 16 total for the monring and the youngest caught a 48" gar(which was the biggest of the tournament). Tournament was over at 12 so we head to the hill for some hot dogs and bugers and to weigh in.

Oldest had the two biggest fish(9lbs and some change) on our boat, and wasn't enought to win a trophey. THe youngest had 2 fish about 8 and some change, but he did win the prize for the longest "bill Fish" so he got a trophey and was so proud of it.

So what started off looking pretty rough turned around and worked out great. Spend the afternoon cleaning fish. Didn't take long for both boys to fall out in the truck on the way home.

Few Pictures from the day. Sorry no total fish shot, cause crappy battery on the Iphone died and didn't get to charger til after we finshed cleaning them.

Little video, but it gets cut short cause I have to help the youngest with another fish.

3:30Am caught up with them!

Notice the trophy in his hand, he didn't want to let it go. He took it to church Sunday to show it off.

Got a few more pictures once my FIL sends them to me from his phone.
    Phillipians 4:13

Phillipians 4:13

That's good stuff!
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

you can't deny Thomas Jae, looks just like ya, dang i feel sorry for him!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Congrats!