Thread: repainting jon boat

Default repainting jon boat

A neighbor sold me his jboat and I am thinking of repainting it. I went to lowes tonight and a worker recommended that I use paint remover, rather than sand all of the paint off. My questions:

1) Has anyone used a similar product (no its not paint thinner, but remover) and what advice do you have for using it

2) Do I need to rough up the surface of the aluminum for my new paint to stick

3) Is it worth my time to prime my boat before painting

I want to do this once and do it right, any help is greatly appreciated

Use the search function for boat painting on here... you will find everything you need
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

1. Aircraft remover

2. No

3. If you don't prime bare aluminum, the paint will blow off while headed to the ramp.

If the paint is in good shape there's no need to strip it, just light sand and paint over. I stripped an entire 40 year old 1436 down to bare metal... it took six weekends.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

aircraft remover???? please explain.. and Im doing the same thing to my boat. what do I use to sand the boat? and what type of primer did ya'll use.
    The harder you hunt, The sweeter the reward.

EVERY single secret is dark and twisted in its own ways-
    Me.

To be the best that you can be in you life you must be willing to drop everything you love.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VHVJN4/ref=asc_df_B000VHVJN42108453?smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB&t ag=pgmp-815-97-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B000V HVJN4[/ame]

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff