Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunflower wars

What do you suggest spraying that won't break the bank or kill millet? 24D, roundup?

I don't know what won't hurt Millet, I don't plant it too often. Permit and Basagran will get the nutgrass but it may take two applications. Your best bet if the nutgrass is bad is to address that and forget about a crop. Nut grass will be back there worse, causing problems for a long time if you don't focus on killing it.

Heh, this is the first year for planting this property. I've never seen nut grass so bad. I was hoping to salvage a shoot this year (I know first season will be out due to timing), but not wanting to put too much money in it. You think the millet will outgrow the grass in height, allowing it to produce? It's an impoundment, so I was looking to flood it for ducks also. Just a though... do ducks eat nut grass nuts?

If you mow that millet for doves, you might not want to flood and hunt ducks. It's illegal to manipulate the current year's crop for waterfowl.

Permit is not labeled in SC I dont believe but it will kill the shit out of nutgrass. Basagran works well too.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Permit is not labeled in SC I dont believe but it will kill the shit out of nutgrass. Basagran works well too.
    You can still buy and apply "Permit" under the names of Profine, Sandea, Sedgehammer($$$) and a few others.

Much better than Basagran, as it is just a top burn.
    James 4:14

Duck impoundment would not be cut. Can you burn it, then flood and hunt ducks or is that manipulating also?

Quote Originally Posted by turfgrass View Post
    You can still buy and apply "Permit" under the names of Profine, Sandea, Sedgehammer($$$) and a few others.

Much better than Basagran, as it is just a top burn.
    I looked at Sandea this year and it was expensive as shit too. Did not see Profine but glad to know about it.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by hickory View Post
    Duck impoundment would not be cut. Can you burn it, then flood and hunt ducks or is that manipulating also?
    I think they would consider burning to be manipulating, but I'm not sure. If you cut it and bale it as a normal agricultural practice, you should be fine.
    Last edited by smallwater; 06-24-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

I think that burning/flooding any kind of planted millet for ducks is illegal.

Nutgrass will outcompete the millet if there is already a good stand and/or seed source. Target the nutgrass now and your future crops will thank you.