Thread: Savannah River Swamp Turkeys

I had a great weekend camping and hunting with six of my buddies. I got a jake with the Gobbler Guillotine (very cool!) and one of my friends got a good 2yr old. 11" beard, 1" spurs, no scale handy but we'll say 18 lb. (his first one)

Good weekend for us, I'm surprised there not more posts and pics after opening weekend?

You just gotta tell us the story of the guillotine in action...

congrats...had a buddy get one with the guillotine yesterday morning with the same results as you..head clean off!! Glad to see someone killed some birds this weekend
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

How did the guillotine fly?
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

We had 6 ppl hunting so split into 2 man teams. Marv870 and I both carried shotguns, thinking we better get one under our belts for the '07 season before we attempted to Guillotine one. We heard 20 gobbles at daybreak but couldnt do anything with them. At least 4 different birds, 3 of which were not on our property. We setup and waited but gave up by 10:00 for some food around the camp fire and to see what anybody else had done. Nobody else heard a gobble - nuthin.

Around 12:30, I decided to hunt some more(aka find a nice place to passout for awhile). I took my bow and walked into a gorgious swampbottom. No blind here - I just got behind a big tree and stacked up some pine branches around it. It looked like shit and I really didnt think I had a chance but o well, at least I have nice place to sleep.

I called a little bit and sat there for maybe 20 mins. I was really about to go to sleep when I saw a red head bobbing through the underbrush at maybe 60yds. It turned out to group of three jakes coming by, just ambling along towards me. They went behind some thick stuff that ran beside a huge blowdown that they couldnt see over so I leaned out from the tree a little further on my knees and drew back. When I saw them again, they were at 20yds but still coming right to me, so I let them come on. The lead jake stopped at 10yds and I let him have it.

It was stunning. Just like in the video. Im impressed.

Honestly, that was the first time I ever fired it. I guess it flew OK; hit spot where I was aiming on the bird.

It is a mighty funky looking contraption, I dont trust it over 20yds for accuracy.

It is hard to practice with, those blades break and bend so easy, it is kinda a one shot deal. They give you a few replacement blades and you can buy more if you want to.

I just took everyone else's word for it that they fly OK and to keep it under 20yds. Worked for me...

Great hunt guys!
    The Tiger who does not prowl is a potential rug.

Good for you. You coulda been smokin and jokin at the campfire but instead got out there and closed the deal at 10 yards without a tent no less!
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Seems like an inch or two in the wrong direction you could be messing up some breast meat...along with cutting a trophy bird's beard off or in half. Not to detract at all from your kill...Nice Job with the bow... [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Did one of the blades break off? At impact or after the "pass through"?

Forget to say it before but, good job!
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

One bent badly and the other broke off completely. Im not sure when it occurred. Im guessing on impact. They are skinny, flemsy little blades.

It is a one shot deal.

Im OK with that though, I'll gladly buy more replacement blades to see more heads fly off like that!!!

Nice pics!

Looks like yall had a great time and a great hunt!

Nice head shot!
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

my buddy made a 19yd shot and broke all but one of the blades off. He said that he felt like he pulled off because he hit the bird a little lower than he wanted too. He was also worried about "hacking" the beard off....after it was all over he told me that it was cool as hell but he would not use it again bc of the fact that the arrow was front heavy and was very unstable in flight....just his .02 though
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.