Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog Hunting

To all those who think that shooting another person's dog is good or defensable idea I suggest you carefully read this South Carolina statute:

Code 1976 § 16-11-510
    Code of Laws of South Carolina 1976 Annotated

Title 16. Crimes and Offenses

Chapter 11. Offenses Against Property

Article 7. Trespasses and Unlawful Use of Property of Others

§ 16-11-510. Malicious injury to animals and other personal property.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to wilfully and maliciously cut, shoot, maim, wound, or otherwise injure or destroy any horse, mule, cattle, hog, sheep, goat, or any other kind, class, article, or description of personal property, or the goods and chattels of another.

(B) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a:

(1) felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both, if the injury to the property or the property loss is worth five thousand dollars or more;

(2) felony and, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than five years, or both, if the injury to the property or the property loss is worth more than one thousand dollars but less than five thousand dollars;

(3) misdemeanor triable in magistrate's court if the injury to the property or the property loss is worth one thousand dollars or less. Upon conviction, the person must be fined or imprisoned, or both, as permitted by law and without presentment or indictment by the grand jury.

HISTORY: 1962 Code § 16-381; 1952 Code § 16-381; 1942 Code § 1183; 1932 Code § 1183; Cr. C. '22 § 73; Cr. C. '12 § 222; Cr. C. '02 § 170; G. S. 2500; R. S. 165; 1712 (2) 478, 521; 1857 (12) 605; 1861 (12) 903; 1892 (21) 115; 1894 (21) 824; 1964 (53) 1724; 1981 Act No. 76, § 1; 1993 Act No. 171, § 3; 1993 Act No. 184, § 104; 1998 Act No. 272, § 1.

A felony conviction could cause you to lose your right to own firearms, amoung othewr civil liberties.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

mark your dogs with a tattoo and register your dog and kennel with the state and then let someone kill them and look at how the pentalty changes! this doesnt even add in the replacement cost of the dog.

SECTION 47-3-510. Owner may register dog; fee.

The owner of any dog or kennel may, upon payment of a fee to be determined by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (department), not to exceed five dollars a dog or twenty dollars a kennel, have his dog registered by the department and the registration number tattooed in either of the dog's ears or on any other clearly visible part of the body that would be considered most suitable for the respective species of dog. The department shall maintain records of the names and addresses of the owners of registered kennels.

SECTION 47-3-530. Penalties for stealing or killing identifiable dog.

Any person stealing any positively identifiable dog is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction must be fined not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not less than thirty days nor more than six months, or both.

Any person killing any dog when owner may be identified by means of a collar bearing sufficient information or some other form of positive identification is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction must be fined not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not less than thirty days nor more than six months, or both. This paragraph does not apply to the killing of a dog threatening to cause or causing personal injury or property damage.

\"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote\" <br />Ben Frankln, 1759

tradorion Coots

and that penalty section DOES NOT include court costs or assessments or restitution...

there is not a damned thing wrong with hunting deer with dogs... there is something wrong with no being able to consistently (yeah, one will slip by every now and again) control/manage the dogs...

and FAR more deer are killed by slipping/sneaking poachers than by dog-running poachers...

T

GREAT post Trad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are my hero for today!!!!!!!!!
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

tradorion Coots

your hero?? I am SOOOOO screwed.

LMAO!!

Good luck with em, Piper.

Just for yesterday - your ok today - you aint my hero no more - unless I re-read your post OR you make another good one!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment