Thread: 2012 Alligator Season

Default 2012 Alligator Season

Was told by someone that the season this year would not be on a lottery system. Went to the DNR site and found this at the bottom of the alligator page. Anyone heard anything about this?

The 2012 open season is September 8th - October 13th (2nd Saturday in September – 2nd Saturday in October).
    Taking of alligators will be controlled by regulation and the instructions on permits.

If that's true I'm going to be pissed... I've put in for that tag two years in a row so I was all but guaranteed to get my tag this year and now everyone gets one!

I doubt it, I think the wording is funny but they will still go with the lottery system......it is crazy enough as it is much less with everybody that wants to go being able to.
    Last edited by chocolate lab84; 02-24-2012 at 05:13 PM.

i would hope so because its a damn act of congress to get a tag. then we could have our own sout carolina swamp people. lol. but that could also be a bad thing.

If they issued tags to everyone they would think they suddenly think they are Troy. They would fill the cooler up with beer and after one to many they would get a hand bitten off. DNR needs to really think this one through if its really true...

They could possibly be issuing a limited amount of permits. First come, first service basis?
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

if they do this someone please post so some of us don't have such trouble getting one or applying and not getting one. i always thought that it was wrong to pay for a app. and not get your money back if you did't get a tag. it should have been deducted of the tag price from 100 to 90, or pay extra 10 if you get drawn. my personal oppinion

opinion.

Lottery....
    Why would the state turn down 11,000 x $10??

1,200 permits and tags will be issued, 300 per management unit (*Next year's tag allotment may be more or less for each unit depending on harvest and population information). A hunter can only hunt in the unit for which he/she was selected. You can list the units in ranked priority and the selection will be based upon this ranking.

The 2012 open season is September 8th - October 13th (2nd Saturday in September – 2nd Saturday in October).
    “A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it than by the woods and swamps that surround it.” -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    Was told by someone that the season this year would not be on a lottery system. Went to the DNR site and found this at the bottom of the alligator page. Anyone heard anything about this?

Taking of alligators will be controlled by regulation and the instructions on permits.

Not true.

Proceed as usual...That's just the dates for the season this year.

It also says the rules and reg will be on the permit. Carry on
    Non Supporting Member