Thread: Training Frequency and Duration

Default Training Frequency and Duration

I recently got a lab pup and am undertaking training him on my own. I think we're coming along alright so far, he's got sit and here down and loves to fetch. As the dog gets older and progresses, I'm wondering how often, you guys who did it yourself, trained. The "experts" in the books all differ from a few minutes a day, every day, to a couple times a week with longer sessions. For now, the pup's attention span is short so we keep it short, but I do try to do something with him every day.

I had searched the forums already and couldn't find a topic about this, so what say ye experts?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

15-30 mins a day 5 days a week. They need a day off too. If the pup starts to regress go with shorter sessions and fewer days.
    80-20 Genaration

I work with pups every day until about 6 months. One formal session a day and a number of short (two to five minutes) informal sessions.

Formal sessions are outside, no distractions and I start with basic OB and progress to new concepts or reinforce problem areas. 20-30 minutes tops with happy bumper breaks.

Informals are sit/stay/down/here/kennel for treats around the house. Only condition is once a known command is given, the correct action must follow.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

short, 3 minutes or less sessions to start out once at most twice a day, seriously keep a timer. It doesn't have to be everyday either. Short is key, and i found it to work great with mine to put them in their crate or some quiet place for an hour or so after. If a dog can go longer thats fine, but at any sign of boredom, end on a positive note and stop the session.Also only train one thing per session.

I am no expert but these things helped me alot
    Last edited by mudminnow; 02-09-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: did not want to start another disussion about clicker training

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    15-30 mins a day 5 days a week. They need a day off too. If the pup starts to regress go with shorter sessions and fewer days.

This
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 02-09-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I'm gonna go against the grain here - and I'm no pro... but if I'm with my pup, we are training. He may not know it, but he's being trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

All day. A dog that is required to sit during 15 minute training sessions outside, but can get away with ignoring you the rest of the day in the house is useless. Short sessions are great but if you dont enforce the rules taught in the session then you are just wasting time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    This ^^^^^

How many of you train twice a day?
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I do when I have the time, which aint often. When I do, Ill usually do drill work in the am and come back that afternoon with a setup to test whatever the drill was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    How many of you train twice a day?
    I train 3 times per week twice a day with usually 20 minute session and one shorter session. the other days are informal retrieving/ playing but even then the obedience standards are enforced.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Always leave them wanting more.