Thread: coyote question

Default coyote question

I know this is a hog forum but I thought it would be the best place to ask my coyote question. What is the best way to draw them out during the daylight so I can start hunting them? I can’t go up there every day so I can’t trap them. What is the best way to get rid of them? But, I’d like to shoot them for the sport of it. If the area matters I am hunting in Saluda.

Why can't you trap them if you're not going up there everyday?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Get a call

Get a guy who is successful in killing them and take him with you. Watch and learn. Dont educate. They are smarter than you are.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    According to dnr a trap must be checked at least once daily.

Well who says you ain't checking daily?

Find a kid in HS and have him check the traps every day.

I did this, Check traps, see one, shoot it. Set the trap back and go on my way.

Pay him or give him hunting rights.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by man down View Post
    It's pretty shitty to set traps and not check them every day regardless of whether or not "the man" is around

Fuck a pig and fuck a trash dog. Shoot 'em in the guts, let 'em chew a leg off or whatever it takes to kill them all. I'd watch a pig eat its young if its what it took to kill them. And I't throw a yote into a pig trap if I could catch one to do it with. They aren't game animals, they're a pestulance, pure vermin.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 01-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Fuck a pig and fuck a trash dog. Shoot 'em in the guts, let 'em chew a leg off or whatever it takes to kill them all. I'd watch a pig eat its young if its what it took to kill them. And I't throw a yote into a pig trap if I could catch one to do it with. They aren't game animals, they're a pestulance, pure vermin.
    Damn you're a real hardass. Believe it or not, other stuff gets caught in traps besides coyotes. And contrary to your Rambo attitude, you'd have a better chance of shoving a melted stick of butter up a wildcat's ass with a knitting needle, than "killing em all." Bo.

you'd have a better chance of shoving a melted stick of butter up a wildcat's ass with a knitting needle

That's funny.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by stro View Post
    Damn you're a real hardass. Believe it or not, other stuff gets caught in traps besides coyotes. And contrary to your Rambo attitude, you'd have a better chance of shoving a melted stick of butter up a wildcat's ass with a knitting needle, than "killing em all." Bo.
    That was pretty good. You obviously don't hunt an area that is as prolific with hogs and yotes as I do. Obviously we can't kill them all, hell a nuclear bomb wouldn't kill all we have. However, we'll use whatever means necessary to try and get them under some type of control. Again fuck a pig and a yote, kill them however you can.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

It's pretty shitty to set traps and not check them every day regardless of whether or not "the man" is around
    alot of states allow 48 hours between checks. contrary to popular belief, a foot hold on a critter isnt anymore painful than having a leash on it. they just get tired of trying to figure out why "it wont let go".

If you cant trap or call effectively, which i would guess would be around 94.7% of the people on here, the very best way(besides hiring a pro) is
    to pick up a road kill deer and stake it down with rebar/wire and cinder blocks..each ham/quarter/head etc tied off good. wait a day, then sit it like you do deer over corn. field edges worked best, you want the crows to find it, the crows bring in the yotes.
    Saw this in Michigan, guys were deadly killing yotes while sitting in their deer stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by man down View Post
    Hopefully his conscience

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    alot of states allow 48 hours between checks. contrary to popular belief, a foot hold on a critter isnt anymore painful than having a leash on it. they just get tired of trying to figure out why "it wont let go".
    Everybody says that, but I've seen some mangled feet and legs, first-hand that I can assure you hurt like hell. With the proper size trap to species match and offset jaws etc. that may be the case to an extent, but smaller, non-target animals also get caught in traps designed for bigger animals. I've heard of a few turkeys caught as well which didn't make it. Not checking every day can also leave animals subject to predation and stress related death. IMO it's pretty unethical to only check every 48 hours regardless of whether the law allows it certain states.

IMO
    I wouldnt log onto this site if we all shared the same opinion, it would be pretty boring.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

The local unpenned beagles and labs would appreciate the traps being checked every morning.

I forget that you cant swing a dead cat in this state without hitting a house or a dog running lose.

What type/brand of calls have work best? I would like them gone but don’t have the time to trap nor do I think I can get rid of them so I think I will just take advantage of them being there and hunt them for sport.

Seems like a lot of folks think trapping is tying a #0 long spring Victor to a root with a bread tie and sprinkling some dirt and leaves over it and whatever blunders in is fair game.

A good trapper can target a particular species and greatly reduce non-target catches (I did catch a muskrat in a 330 Conibear once, but I ain't a great trapper). The problem is when you set up to catch a canine it's hard to weed the Walkers from the yotes. That's why I have a problem with the temic, treble hooks, and other lethal ground "traps".

A properly placed #3 or #4 hole set with enough pan tension shouldn't catch a turkey, fox or smaller.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff