Thread: First Bird

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Bird

Took the little man with me to duck hunt in Missouri. He has shot a few deer w a really small rifle but hasn't shot a shotgun much. He is less than 70 lbs so finding a gun to fit him length and weight has been difficult. He shoots lefty also to complicate matters. I found him a little 20 ga pump with a really short lop and had him shoot a few times at the deer club. Didn't expect much this time but carrying an empty gun and work on gun awareness and safety.

We got into some specks and had a cripple in the decoys not going far but head up and bobbing around some. My son and I got out the blind and got to about 20 yds and he shot. first shot hit him in the butt and he limped another 5 yards. Speck's head was up and second shot hit his head and killed him instantly. He was excited and it helped his confidence.

Things slowed down and we were facing the duck decoys in the water in front w goose decoys on land behind us. Wind was blowing about 20-25 and the guide said there was a juvy snow goose walking in decoys. Still have no idea where he came from. Son and I got out the blind and slipped down the ditch about 30 yards and the goose walked up to about 20 yards feeding along. We slowly came up out of ditch and shot. Goose dropped dead w another headshot. Again he was stoked but the cool thing was our guide and my buddies hunting w me made a big deal out of it.

I know we have a long way to go but it was a good start. Turns out it was a juvy Ross goose. Wyatt and I are now tied bc I've only killed 1 in my life. Brought the bird home and between my wife and hunting buddies, I've got no choice but to mount it. I hope it's the first of many and on the wing but it is still a first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston