I was in Murrels Inlet yesterday and stopped in at Perry’s Bait and Tackle and spoke with one individual who works there. I purchased a few items from him. He offered me a used 7 foot surf rod for $10.00. I could not pass it up

This leads me into my next set of questions about surf fishing in Myrtle Beach. Which is better and the most used fishing line from the shoreline? Braid or monofilament fishing line? I heard that both are used by many individuals. Do you use just the braid or is there a monofilament leader in front of the braid line? How do you determine what size of reel to buy. I read where 3000, 4000 and 5000 sizes are good. But the manufacture’s specs only discuss braid line sizes (i.e. 12/220 14/190 16/160 | 50/140 65/90 80/75). How do you measure monifilament line against the braid sizes? How much line should one put on a reel in yards? I read 300 yards is most popular length.

Since I now have a fishing rod, next comes the reel. I have decided to go with a lower cost reel until I learn more about the sport and equipment. I am now looking for a good reliable reel with a price tag of $80.00 or below. I was thinking of the Kastking Sharky Baitrunner III. But then I read that they are not good for being around saltwater and sand. I like the bait runner theory and would like to purchase a reel with it on it. Any suggestions on the above two topics are welcomed.

I can't wait for warmer weather. Until then I will slowly purchace what I need and learn from memebers here on "SCDUCKS"