Thread: Broad River Waterfowl Management Area

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Broad River Waterfowl Management Area

Cliff notes: Corn looks better than it has in the 5ish years I've been going out to look at the fields. The rice does not look as good as last year. The wet area in the north east field did not have as much smartweed as years past. Sorghum looks good, I've never seen it planted to this extent since I've been going out there.

The lines drawn on the map are a good representation yet still approximate. (attached PDF, hopefully it loads correctly)

Pics from last year are located in this thread: https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...pdated-reports

Corn field: Very minor deer damage, all I saw were a few stalks that were eaten down in the earlier stages of growth. The pictured cob was less than 10ft into the field, all other cobs looked full as well. This is a big difference between last year where hardly any stalks made cobs and when they did they were very small. This field had carp jumping in it in the first week of May, so a good job to get it to where it is now. Lots of sicklepod, and in the plowed areas around the field that's all I could see coming up even though it appeared to have been planted with something recently.

Sorghum field: Last year this was corn and rice. The corn was absolutely consumed by weeds and might as well have not been planted. Maybe this was a crop rotation to help with weeds or just planted for variety. Either way, looks good with most all plants having full seed heads.

Rice: Not that great. Seems like different areas were planted at different times, some had matured and some had not.
    Attached Files Attached Files