I’m sure there’s a few guys who have trained an upland dog so hopefully I can get some advice. I know a little about training dogs for waterfowl, 100% new to pointers.

I picked up a 5 year old gsp last weekend. He was hunted the first 3 years of his life, even hunted Kansas twice for wild birds. The owner had some personal and health issues, the dog didn’t hunt for the past 2 years, and he sold him.

He’s collar conditioned, not gun shy, isn’t scared of thick cover in the slightest, acts very birdy, has pointed in the yard a couple of times (unprovoked, no placed scents/birds/wings), he naturally works in front of me at 20-60 yards and the beep of a whistle will bring him back in range if he strays out of that zone. He’s rusty on basic obedience, I’m not going to teach sit, but I am teaching heel (he’s getting better by the day). He sucks with ‘here/come’ unless you give him a few beeps on the whistle and nick him a couple of times on the collar (very receptive on collar, I keep it on 2 or 3). Overall after 4 full days with him, I’m pleasantly surprised and I think he has potential. He’s got a good demeanor as well and does well with my kids and wife. The only major negative is he likes to bark in the kennel, that’s getting straightened out as well (doesn’t bark in a crate).

The plan is to use him for released birds at my place in Arkansas to have something to do in the afternoons. I’m sure I’ll take him on a hunt for wild birds one day, but vast majority will be pen birds.

To my questions. I have wings and scent coming in on Friday. I’ve read some places to stay away from this, opinions are welcome. I plan on getting some live birds as well to train with. I have plenty of places to plant birds and train around my house, not too many where I can shoot as well. What’s the go to way to get the rust off of him? A quail launcher?

My main goal is to not screw him up. If he points, holds, and “hunts” like he does on our walks behind my place, I’ll be happy. He will not be used for waterfowl what so ever.

Hit me with advice.