Let me explain this so that those with an IQ of less than 85 (which seems to be the vocal majority on here) can understand. For the most part the negative perception of dog hunting has nothing to do with the sport itself. It has to to do with the blatant disregard for others property rights. Anyone that has lived (hunted) in SC for more than 12 months has some knowledge of dog hunting (for deer). It has either been a positive or a negative experience. For those that have participated in an organized, well run hunt, there isn't a more fun way to kill a deer. The sound of a pack of dogs headed your way can make even the strongest man come "unglued". You never know what is ahead of the dogs. Is it a small doe or the biggest 10 point you could dream of? When it's done "right" NO one will complain, call the law, threaten to shoot dogs, etc. The flip side is when a still hunter has spent lots of time and money to hunt on his property and a group of "rogue" hunters (and I use that term loosely) turn out a pack of dogs on either a small tract of land that they have permission to hunt, or even land they don't have permission knowing that the dogs are going to be on others property within a minute or 2 and then the rogues scatter out to "just trying to catch the dogs, you know they can't read".
The point is, most hunters know that even with diligent efforts dogs are going to occasionally get out of the hunt and get onto others. Any logical person/hunter should understand this and even go out of their way to help the dogs owner retrieve his dog. The problems arise when the rogues (and its the same ones over and over) totally disrespect their neighbors and continually run dogs over them even after repeated attempts by their neighbors to communicate that they have a problem with their actions.
There are many dog guys that have gone the "extra mile" to control their dogs and keep the dogs off of their neighbors. I have seen miles off fence put up an thousands of $ spent on gps collars to better keep up with and contain their dogs. These aren't the ones causing the problems. It's the ones with little or no land that have no respect for those around them that have been the problem and will continue to be the problem.