Well, I stand corrected. I admit it. Had a nice long chat with Owen and was talking to him about our thread about shooting over a deer's back. FYI-it was Candor who missed....in case you forgot.

Anyway, I explained to Owen that i had been told that the effect of gravity on an arrow shot from an elevated position has a lot to do with missing over a deer's back. he said emphatically "NO!"

Here's the deal...most of us practice standing on the ground with our forearm perpendicular to our torso. Got it? Well, when elevated, that lead arm is pointing down towards the deer....while many times, we keep our back straight and tall. When doing this, we change the angle of the sight line (in other words, we lower the pin, but keep the eye in the same spot). To keep from shooting over a deer's back, you need to lean into the shot. In other words, you have to keep the front arm perpendicular to your torso to make it work.

I told Owen about people "picking a spot below the deer" and he said that would work if you "shoot wrong and got lucky when you picked the spot."

The cure: lean into the shot. Get your torso parallel to the deer and your arm perpendicular to your chest....but please don't pick a spot below the deer any more or you will shoot there...

hard to put into words...hope this helps. heading out to the farm to shoot the bow.