Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow opinions....

Default Bow opinions....

First, just STHU, I know I've given you bowhunters a hard time in the past, it was all in fun. I had a bow 8 or 9 years ago, before the boys were born, hunted with it a few times but never killed anything. Sold it when Brady was born because I just didn't have the time to hunt, then Ryan showed up 21 months later, and I had even less time. They are 7 and 5 now and are going hunting with me and it has allowed me to get them in the woods and they are loving it.

Anyway, that's the back story, the here and now is that I want a bow. Want to go ahead and start researching so I can get my hands on it with plenty of time to get back in the groove before next September.

I don't profess to know much about the latest technology and I'm sure it has come a long way since the last time a picked one up. I don't want a "beginners bow". I'm looking at Mathews, Elite, Bowtech, Hoyt, etc. That's the big names I know. Anyway, my head hurts. School me. Pros, cons all that jazz. I'd like to deal with somebody in the Cola/Lex area if at all possible, for convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

bowtech bowtech bowtech, or, elite elite elite

go see the boys at jeffery archery
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

one mans trash is another man's treasure!!!! I have owned around 12 bows in the past two years and over 20 in the past 4. One thing I can tell you is go shoot, then shoot another, then shoot every dang bow in the store until you find one you like. Trust me...I can sit and talk about ata, ibo, kinetic energy, weight or brace height and it wont matter. Its all about what you say feels good, and how it feels in your hands in the stand. But buy bowtech or mathews. This just came out! the Chill by mathews.

Last edited by dhall1693; 11-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Athens, elite, bear are my favs

Mathews, Pse, new breed, and alien are good

I hate hoyts and bowtechs

Shoot 'em all and don't buy new. Once you find one you like then buy that sucker used off the net.

www.archerytalk.com is my cocaine
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Hoyt, jefferey archery has some good options

Find you a used Mathews Drenalin and go kill some shit.

I have an Elite I am willing to sell PM if you are interested or you are more than welcome to just shoot it to compare to others. Elite has a fully transferable lifetime warranty.

Come by and shoot the Elite line and Bowtech. I really like the Elite Answer.

+1 Elite.

I shot a Hoyt for 2 weeks and hated it. I ended up selling it on archerytalk and bought an Elite Z28. I absolutely love it. I never shot a Mathews but I drew back a PSE and hated that too.. I owned my Elite for almost a year now and have no intentions of letting that one go but when I do, bet your ass that I will be shooting another Elite.

After a week I got my elite, I was at friend's house doing some target shooting. He was shooting a Hoyt. I let him shoot mine, and I ended up having to sell his on archerytalk also and he bought an brand new Elite (no warranty) off eBay..

If you do buy a used Elite, be sure to run the serial number through the Elite customer service if you want the warranty bc G5 use to produce the Elite bows then they broke up... blah blah blah, just buy an Elite and be done.

I pulled back an Elite, I think it was an Hunter, but not real sure. It was very smooth and had a really solid back wall. I've heard the newer Mathews bows were kinda spongy, but in fairness, I haven't pulled one back.
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I pulled back an Elite, I think it was an Hunter, but not real sure. It was very smooth and had a really solid back wall. I've heard the newer Mathews bows were kinda spongy, but in fairness, I haven't pulled one back.
    They may be feeetsy, but I am guessing an " elite" guy told u that. Is your knee going to be strong enough to bow hunt? I never really got into all the different bows and whatnot. I just bought a z7 and kill stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

If you can find an old Switchback XT that fits you, buy it until you find something better. When you find something better, don't get rid of the Switchback because you'll eventually realize you fell for marketing and the Switchback was better to begin with.

Seriously, don't get hung up on what the advertisements say. Go try a few and get one that feels good enough. Any of the bows made nowadays will kill a deer. Indians killed plenty of deer with old wooden straight limb bows.

Just when you think you know a guy...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

x2 on the switchback XT. I love mine.

PB, whats the difference in a Switchback and a Switchback XT?

I shoot a Hoyt Maxxis 31 and love it. Super smooth. I shot a PSE prior to buying the Hoyt. Loved it, too. They all kill deer, it comes down to fit.

I've shot them all. Ive owned most of the big brands flagship bows at one time or another. All make really great bows that will shoot sweet and kill stuff dead. I shoot an Elite Answer and have an Elite Z28 backup. First bows that I know I'll never sell. Elites are top notch bows with an unbeatable warranty/Elite Promise that you will likely never have to use. Shoot one before you buy anything. Heck, shoot as many as you can, but don't buy anything till you shoot an Elite.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!