Thread: Question?

I was hunting with my bow in a climber on Friday morning at my club. I had a Palmateed 7 pt. with no brow tines cross the creek and walk within 18 yards of my stand and stop broadside. He weighed approx. 150-160 lbs. and looked to be probably 2.5 or 3.5 with about a 12.5-13" spread but very tall.

I passed this deer up with a rifle twice during the season in another stand because our club rule is 15" spreads or better......(although we are allowed one choice buck that we are to use for a mistake if one happens)....... My question is this, considering I have already harvested 3 very nice bucks this year with a rifle (2 from this property and 2 that I am having mounted.) My question is this, should I have let this one walk or used my choice buck and killed my first with a bow?

I have never killed a deer with my bow so I am not sure how often the opportunities will present themselves. I will say that I have passed on several other small bucks while hunting with the bow this season and have not had an opportunity to take a doe which is really what I have been after.

Given the circumstnces would you have let the deer walk as I did, or go ahead and take your first deer with the your bow and use your choice buck.

Just curious about what others think. I realize that making split second decisions is part of hunting and I tell myself if I have to think about it then it is probably not worth shooting....
    For information about forming a Buckmasters Chapter in your area contact:<br />kgraves@buckmasters.com<br />badf.org

Bow? Id have shot him.
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I don't bow hunt, so I would have shot him. With the rifle, just knowing I could have killed him might have been enough. I bet that pumped you up having him within a spit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

If you kill ANOTHER buck this year, you might get kicked out of your club.

Since your club is obviously trying to pass on the smaller bucks, you probably did the right thing. However, with as slow as my year has been I can't say I would have done that. I have always used the same test you do - if you have to think about it you should probably let him walk.

With a bow I would have taken him. With a rifle I would have let him walk.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I would have deflated both lungs in short order.

3 1/2 year deer with bow in SC is not too common.

I appreciate the feedback. I am just ready to draw back and release an arrow to see what my limitations are and what the arrows capabilities are....but at the same time I don't want my first one to be one that I regret (Kind of Like when I lost my virginity!, talk about low expectations!)

Only one other bow hunter in the club and I don't think the rest of the club would appreciate me bringing in a buck that is not up to standard...don't blame them either.
    For information about forming a Buckmasters Chapter in your area contact:<br />kgraves@buckmasters.com<br />badf.org

well damn. i posted a smartass reply to this thread and it aint here. damn moderators are ganging up on me....

why would you want to shoot that buck? you got enough meat in the freezer. all you want is the satisfaction to say you did it. next time you are in that situation, see if you can draw on him. pulling the release is easy....getting to full draw is TOUGH. "count coo" on that deer and you will have accomplished something.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Most of the bowhunters that I know and hunt with feel that rules and standards are the same as with a rifle - you are a bowhunter by choice and no special priviledges come with that choice.
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

2th........that's not like you to have a smart ass response! I am Shocked. I guess when you got to full draw on that innocent year old 6 point chowing on that $3.99 bag of Wal-Mart apple corn earlier this season you said, "hell with it, I just want to say I did it".

Duckman....Good Post. You are right on. If you bow hunt, you do it by choice and should not expect special accomodations.

If I bow hunt one time every 15 years does that make me a bow hunter? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

shoot him....

Originally posted by BUCKMASTERS R.D:
    I guess when you got to full draw on that innocent year old 6 point chowing on that $3.99 bag of Wal-Mart apple corn earlier this season you said, "hell with it, I just want to say I did it".
    it was not on managed land. big difference. i just dont see why you would shoot a small buck on land where you pass them up with a rifle. the land i killed the 6 point on is NOT managed. the farmer told me to shoot every doe i saw and it was before the season came in. i did the best i could to help him out without breaking the law.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It feels good to see and hear someone else defendig themselves, LOL!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

J/T 2th!

I guess that is why I did not shoot.....Just seeking validation perhaps. You know how that second guessing can be.

By the way 2th, did you cover up your QDMA sticker on your truck when you loaded him up? LOL!! You liked my thread on the $3.99 apple corn too did'nt you.

tradorion Coots

I'm no deer scientist- but that age and that rack description... I'd say get him out of the gene pool... and he'd make a fine first buck with a bow to boot... but hey- if QDM floats your boat to the umpteenth degree- smile and "Let him go, let him grow"

T

tradorian: what county you in??

CPiper, he's all over the place. He's gotta be to catch the bad guys.

JP
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...