Here is another thing to know about focusing the scope (not to be confused with parallax adjustment). It is not unusual for a persons eyesight to change a little from year to year. Realize that you should check your scopes focus periodically, especially if you have had a change in your glasses or contacts. Also, the focus is normally good for a certain range +- a bit. Some scopes are more critical of this than others. The newer Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x50mm scope is a very good scope, but it is a bit critical on focus distance compared to other scopes. Maybe due to length?????

Similar to parallax, a really sharp focus is good for a certain range of distances, i.e 80-200 yards, 40-120 yards, etc. The reticle should always be sharp and clear when looking at the target......not the reticle. The focus is much more pronounced at higher magnifications. When setting the focus, do not stare through the scope. Quickly look through the scope then look away for a few seconds, then come back to the scope. Last year, I had set up said VX-3 Leupold for a sharp focus at about 200 yards for power line stands. Then one day I used that rifle hunting tight woods where a 20-50 yard shot would have been normal. I realized real quickly that at high magnification (which is not really needed for close shots anyway) everything within range was blurry. I had to back off the magnification to get acceptable resolution.

I believe that most deer killed with a rifle in SC are probably killed somewhere between 70-150 yards, so setting the focus around 100-120 yards is probably not a bad idea because you get a bit of leeway on both sides of the sweet spot. As was said earlier, some scopes are not very critical of focus range, but others definitely are.

A simple way to check your focus is to hang a fairly large white sheet of paper beside a newspaper at your preferred distance. Do this in bright sunlight. Turn up the magnification to max, then dial out parallax, if you have that capability. Now start working on the focus with the reticle on the white paper. When you think you are in the ballpark with a sharp reticle, shift over to the newspaper and fine tune to clearly read the headlines/print. You will probably find that adjustment is not critical, but you will see a difference as you adjust. Just remember not to stare. Look through the scope for a few seconds, then look away for a few seconds, then back again. Adjust as you go. When you think that you got it right, go back to the white paper and verify that the reticle is still sharp.

Where having the focus right really comes into play is at low light. If the focus is on the money you will be able to resolve the animal/antlers a bit better and is a cheap way of maximizing your scopes performance. Said another way, if your focus is not where it should be, you are robbing yourself of the low light performance, that so many folks pay a lot of money for.

Give it a try

Good luck