Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes

Default Mosquitoes

I'm not complaining but I'm 59 years old and the mosquitoes at the little spot on the Earth where I deer hunt are as bad as I've ever seen. It's unbearable to be on the ground with any exposed skin.

It's the big "gallinippers" (Psorophora ciliata)...I think.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Yep I was bass fishing a little creek into a lake yesterday and about mid way the creek was getting swarmed by these "gallinippers". New term for me, I have always referred to them as souped up racing stripe skeeters.

They have bred and reproduced well in my area, too. Bush hogging saturday and after every pass through the low spot in the field I was coming out the other side a quart low.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Yeah they are really rough right now in some of our spots. Tons of standing water. I took my boys to a stand last night I shouldn't have. The walks in and out were both miserable experiences and I regretted my decision. Had no clue how bad they were at that particular spot. Hate to make the experiences negative for them. We were okay once settled in the stand with 2 thermacells, but the walks were as bad as mosquitos get. We won't be going back to that stand anytime soon.

i was in georgia south of estill this weekend and i’ve never seen giant killer mosquitoes like that. looks like some of Bill gates genetic modified beast got blown up by the hurricane.
    Windows Down!

Hopefully in two or three weeks they will run their cycle and be done with it. I know what y’all mean… They get bad at my place after a ton of rain.

Starting their cycle in Georgetown, but not as bad as last year, yet!
    Low country redneck who moved north

They are thick on my place. They’re as bad as I’ve seen them since Hugo.

They were unbearable in the Black River swamp this weekend. As bad as I can remember
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I teal hunted Friday morning and knew they were gonna be bad.

Gallinippers can poke through double layers.

Mistook em for single teal a few times.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Yeah they are really rough right now in some of our spots. Tons of standing water. I took my boys to a stand last night I shouldn't have. The walks in and out were both miserable experiences and I regretted my decision. Had no clue how bad they were at that particular spot. Hate to make the experiences negative for them. We were okay once settled in the stand with 2 thermacells, but the walks were as bad as mosquitos get. We won't be going back to that stand anytime soon.
    I took Wes Sat afternoon. Cranked both thermacells before leaving the house. Got to the stand and they had gone out. The 7 min it took to get them back smoking were miserable. His back looked like he had been shot with birdshot
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I pretty much hunt the wind, so I just use bug spray and couple it with the thermacell in these type of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    i was in georgia south of estill this weekend and i’ve never seen giant killer mosquitoes like that. looks like some of Bill gates genetic modified beast got blown up by the hurricane.
    Had to be in Effingham Co. it’s rough cruising timber there
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I'm convinced that mosquitoes can affect where deer go too. If you can't tolerate them in an area, you might as well find a better spot because the deer don't have thermacells or deet and they probably found refuge somewhere else too. The ones that stay give themselves away with their switching tails and head shaking. It's hard not to feel sorry for the critters that have to endure the damn mosquitoes.

If there was a long lasting thermacell device that would keep a place free of mosquitoes for weeks at a time, it would probably work better than a feeder.

Had several in my yard a while ago 50 yards from the house and feel sure it was get in the open away from all the skeeters.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Had to be in Effingham Co. it’s rough cruising timber there
    screven
    Windows Down!

screven
    A few steps better, but not much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Oh No! Skeeters are bad after all that rain. Americans are such pussys...

I know a dude that sprays yards and businesses to kill skeeters. Pm inbound
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

I got smoked today otw to the stand. They’re bad.