Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another QDM post.

i would like to respond to the dog hunting question posed earlier. we have around 16,000 acres on our dog club that we dog hunt and still hunt and yes we do promote trophy management. on our dog hunts we shoot 8 points or better outside the ears and have been doing so for several years. granted we do make some mistakes, but not very many. so to answer the earlier question, i feel that you can manage the deer herd while enjoying the great sport of dog hunting. for all you folks who have never tried it, you need to.

Great point Buckmaster. What IS the difference between the state legislature or the Department of Natural Recources placing bag limits or size limits on whitetail deer when everything else we can hunt and fish has regulations. If it is going to benefit the overall experience for everyone and help the wildlife as well, why not have something?

Just a thought, and I agree with Hounddog, just because someone chooses to dog hunt or is in a dog hunting club does not mean they cannot better manage the deer herd.
    Lowcountry Branch QDMA<br />\"Let him go so he can grow\"

there is NO WAY a dog club can manage a deer herd, from a QUALITY standpoint, as well as a still hunting club. sorry. it just can't be done.

can they try? yes. can they try real hard? sure. but they cannot age a deer when it is being run by dogs. period.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Let me axe you fellas a question .... who gets to determine ifen the deer I shot is a "quality" deer or not?? By whos ruler is we measuring by, yourn or mine?
    Every deer I have ever shot was a "quality" animal, and to suggest that a 120lb 6" 4pnter from the SOUTH CAROLINA woods is not a quality animal is border line blasphemy! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Toof, you is talking just bucks. Right?
    Because most doggers attitude of brown/down is good for doe deer control (a QDM goal & managment technique) at least in our neck of the woods. Our doe deer harvest is GREAT, well above the still hunting cluibs in our area. Which is a good thing for the deer and the habitat - and we dont have to age the doe.

And I can too age a deer while I doggin!!
    Come join me one weekend and I will show you.
    Just remember, doggers were notorius for traditional deer managment decades ago, letting doe deer walk. It was a SIN to shoot a doe in dog camps. Once the attitude swayed towards shooting does deer, most clubs still put a 60-70lb min on doe deer and you seen very few mistakes, very few. If it is an activity you engage in on a regular basis, you can adjust and manage with good results.

Maybe Toof aint got fast enough eyes?? Old Man!!
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

we manage the best we can. we use the horns as a judgement of age. i guess you can sit in a treestand and tell exactly how old one is down to the exact year. you can't tell me that you don't ever judge a deer's age by his rack. heck, the Realtree staff itself does that. no,we can't tell how short a deers snout is or how much of a pot belly he has but we manage our herd the best way we know how. we sure kill some nice bucks, so i guess we are doing something right.

Don't get me wrong Doc, I don't think a dog club can do as good a job at trophy or even quality managing deer as a still club can either. What I am saying is that anyone can manage the deer herd, no matter what the means of hunting them is.

I am a still hunter, gun and bow and I know 100% without a doubt that I am better managing the deer than my dog hunting club neighbor. It is unfortunate for me that they do not believe in the practice as they have shot over 30 bucks this year and ONLY 5 does.

There is a whole lot more to the practice of quality deer management than being able to judge the age of a whitetail on the hoof.

i guess the terms need to be defined so everyone is on the same page. CPiper thinks every deer he shoots is "quality." hounddog thinks every big buck is "quality." that's fine by me. individuals and individual hunt clubs can decide what they mean by quality, but lets not get into a linguistical debate. you ALL know what i'm talking about, but don't want to admit it.

a "quality" buck is a buck that has been allowed to reach maturity. again, decide what you mean by "maturity" and go from there.

cpiper-every deer i shoot makes quality eating, that i know. but don't make me agree that a 10" 6 point is "quality."

hounddog-just because you shoot big bucks does not mean that you have a "quality" deer herd.

still, none of you would get me to believe that a dog driving club can manage for older age bucks.

but i will say it till i'm blue in the face, but y'all will just read the part you want to--but i still love a good dog drive and appreciate it as part of our Southern heritage....but i still don't like dogs on my property when i'm trying to manage for "quality" deer.

Well said!

Said well, even for a ToofDr.
    I see there is no reply on the fast eyes??
    Just messin with ya OLD MAN!!

Funny isnt it .... the dog club next to still hunting JohnB has shot 30 bucks and 5 does while the still clubs next to CPiper's dog club has shot 60 bucks and 0 does. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Yes, I do think that if a person engages in deer hunting safely and legally, every kill is a qulaity hunt and experience. Im not playing on words, as a member of QDMA and one who practices QDM on over 11000 acres I hunt, I know what your talking about - do you know what I am talking about??

There are umpteen things more important in SC as it pertains to deer and deer hunting then QDM, B&C and P&Y.
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

Hey Curtis, let me talk to your still club neighbor and you talk to my dog club neighbor.

i ain't old...but my eyes act that way sometimes.

I'm 34.

You should've seen the look on Sportin' Woodies eyes when he first met me at the Poker Run. I still don't think he believes I am who I said I was.

In my business, the eyes do age a bit. Mouths are too durn small.

10-4 JohnB ..... lets start the JB & CP Edumakashunal TV show!

34?? I thought you was an OLD man .... Boy oh Boy, do I feel old now.
    Now that I know I got you by several years, you listen up when this wise old man of experience talks to you, you hear me young man! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And as I read through this topic again, I came up with another thought for Tiberboy's question:
    When multiple doe deer appear, wait a minute before you just shoot. Take the time to identify the dominent doe. Then pick out the doe 2nd in command, 3rd in command. This is where QDM comes in handy - but NOT shooting at every deer (buck) you see, you learn about them. You become a better hunter by being able to detect and identify body language.
    Shoot the dominent doe first and make the shot one where she will drop in her tracks, pin the shoulders!
    The other doe deer will become [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and in most cases will stand there long enough for you to get a 2nd and 3rd shot. To get multiple doe deer, shoot the top ranking doe in the group and drop her in her tracks - then its target practice!
    AND, this works on dog drives also. Iv gotten multiple kills before by dropping the lead/dominent doe. I have a pic of 3 does killed on 1 drive, I'lls ee if I can post up. The dom doe was shot first and the other 2 stood there looking at her like "TELL ME WHAT TO DO" but only for a few seconds! They should have put their butts in the wind, too late.

Sounds like someone read an article by Joe Hamilton in their latest issue of Quality Whitetails on which does to shoot and how to shoot mulitple does.

Very nice!

10-4, did read the article, but it was "old news" to me. Not that Joe dont know his stuff, and it was a good read, just already knew and practiced it.

Tell ya something else ..... lets say you shoot the dom. doe but dont get a 2nd shot, sit still and wait. ALOT of times the other doe deer will return to see what happened to their fallen leader. Iv seen em walk up to her and sniff, look around and thats when I get a 2nd or 3rd shot.

Very true. I have also seen it where I have shot an adult nanny and she ran off a little, laid down and died, causing the group to exit as well, only to have them return a little later. Hungry bitches!

Joe Hamilton is da man!!

ttt
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!