Thread: List Some Less Known Rules Of Etiquette

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default List Some Less Known Rules Of Etiquette

Rules of etiquette can be unusual and I've heard they can be geographic or in certain cliques they can be different. For instance in the north you may be expected to do a certain thing that you wouldn't do in the South and the other way around. And monied people may do things differently than blue collar people.

All of these are probably different in Camden too.

I'm going to write a few of the things I know. Y'all add any y'all can think of. I'm not talking about the obvious stuff we all know. Just post the rarer ones you've heard about or learned. The list might keep one of us from embarrassing ourselves some day.

• This one is what made me post this.....I just recently found out that when someone offers you a glass of fine whiskey/scotch, it is considered rude to finish your drink before the person who offered it to you.

• At a wedding, a man should never take off his suit jacket until the groom has done so first.

• Found this one online when looking some up....in a poker game for money, it's rude to reveal your cards slowly for effect - especially if you know you have the winning hand. It's called "slow-rolling", in some cases it can get you kicked out of a game.

• If two people are bowling in lanes side by side at the same time the one of the left should wait for the one on his right to bowl first.

• Rules of etiquette are intended to make people feel comfortable. So pointing out a violation of a rule is considered rude. So I guess it's like Fight Club...the first rule of etiquette: Don't speak about etiquette.

• Don't drink to yourself. If you're the guest of honor at a function or even if your friends are just toasting you, don't drink. You raise your glass with them, nod and say thanks, then set your glass back down.

• It's rude to sit down in someone's house before they offer you a seat.

• Here's a city one....when a man is with a woman and he hails a cab he should get in first and slide across the seat making room for her to get in beside him. That was if there is any dirt or whatever on the seat it gets on him instead of the lady.

• When trying wine in a restaurant you're only supposed to check that it is corked, not whether it's good or bad. Also if the sommelier hands you the cork...never smell it like most people do. You just look at the top and the sides of the cork to see if the bottle was sealed properly. That way you know whether air got to the wine or not.

• A gentleman should always go down the stairs in front of a lady, and up the stairs behind her. This puts him in a position to catch if they trip.

• A man should always wait for the woman to initiate a handshake.

• If you lend someone a small amount of money, say $1, when they try to pay you back you are supposed to decline it the first time, then take it. Don't ask me why.

Y'all add some you know or have heard about.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    and up the stairs behind her. This puts him in a position to catch if they trip.
    I thought that this was so you can get a good uninterrupted stare in.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold