Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age?

At what age would you take your child hunting, sit in a stand, duckblin, etc? Trying to get a idea from others on when to take my kids.

As soon as they get accustomed to the shock collar. Great way to keep them still and quiet in the stand.

I sat with my dad when i was 5-7, hunted in my own "stand" (10 ft off ground i suppose) about 100yds from my dad when i was 8-12ish... In the blind i would say in the 12-14 range age because guns are slinging every direction in a duck blind, but deer hunting your slow a usally only get one shot off.. Hope that helps..
    I know I\'m lame cause I have to shoot the tame.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

You have to overlook Geetch, he's got issues!

You have to decide the age to take them yourself, when you feel they are old enough. Mainly don't let them get bored sitting in a deer stand. That's why squirrel hunting and dove shoots are good for kids, they can move around and there's usually enough action to keep them from getting bored. As for carrying a gun or shooting a gun, each child is different and that's something you'll have to decide for yourself whether they are mature enough and savvy enough to do so. Age isn't as important as how you've taught them, and how they have reacted to what you taught them about safety etc.

I was sitting in the squirrel woods with a gun in my lap by myself when I was 6 yrs old. But I had been shooting pellet rifles, bb guns and shooting "real" guns with my dad for several years by that time.

But when sitting in the squirrel woods I was forbidden to walk around. Dad would sit me under a big hickory tree with lots of cuttings on the ground and I best still be there when he came back. I could stand and shoot, but that was the limit of my allowed mobility. I did the same with my son and he's done the same with my grandson.

So you have to be the judge of that!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

RugerAnnie Coots

Originally posted by Geetch:
    As soon as they get accustomed to the shock collar. Great way to keep them still and quiet in the stand.
    That was a good one Geetch!!! Doesn't surprise me at all that it came from you either

Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    You have to overlook Geetch, he's got issues!

You have to decide the age to take them yourself, when you feel they are old enough. Mainly don't let them get bored sitting in a deer stand. That's why squirrel hunting and dove shoots are good for kids, they can move around and there's usually enough action to keep them from getting bored. As for carrying a gun or shooting a gun, each child is different and that's something you'll have to decide for yourself whether they are mature enough and savvy enough to do so. Age isn't as important as how you've taught them, and how they have reacted to what you taught them about safety etc.

I was sitting in the squirrel woods with a gun in my lap by myself when I was 6 yrs old. But I had been shooting pellet rifles, bb guns and shooting "real" guns with my dad for several years by that time.

But when sitting in the squirrel woods I was forbidden to walk around. Dad would sit me under a big hickory tree with lots of cuttings on the ground and I best still be there when he came back. I could stand and shoot, but that was the limit of my allowed mobility. I did the same with my son and he's done the same with my grandson.

So you have to be the judge of that!
    amen brother, well said.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

My dad started me out in dove hunts when I was about 5 or 6. From there I started going on dog hunts and would stand with him. I think I was 11 or 12 when I started standing by myself on dog hunts- however I was right down the road from the pops. I started still hunting when I was 14. Ducks hunting came when I was 15.
    Life is a highway and I'm ready to ride!

CU Huntingirl, will you marry me?

I took my little boy just before his 3rd birthday. It was last September and the no shoulders was still crawling, so I carried him to the stand & back. I took snacks and water for him. It was hot as heck & the Thermacell did it's job, as usual ...We saw 17 deer in total. We were in a box stand about 12 feet off of the ground and the deer were about 75-100 yards away. I took ear muffs for him and we practiced, just in case I saw a nice buck! We saw some small bucks & does and never shot. He had a blast and to this day tells everyone about it. We haven't had the chance to hunt together this year as it's been pretty busy and I've only hunted two weekends. We'll get a chance to go again in December.

NOW, the thing that you have to understand is that the child controls the hunt. If they get bored with it, you're going to have to call it off. Also, point out everything you see and share with them what it is. This will keep their interest. You don't want them to be miserable and start hating it. Take them an hour or so before last shooting light. Keep it fun for them, there's plenty of time for them to learn that hunting can be work and can be boring.

I've killed 2 really nice bucks this year, but none of the hunts was as fun as when I had Teddy with me. TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM....

Keep it fun. Not sure about you, but my grandaddy taught me about hunting and the outdoors for the most part. I still remember doing things with him and he's been dead now for 20+ years I remember getting up at 5:00 AM, getting the dogs loaded and heading out. We'd always stop at the fireworks store and grab a Coke out of the machine. Man, that was life!!! If you make it fun and care about them and focus on them, they'll want to go because it is doing something with you.

Sorry for the book, I just really started remembering how much fun hunting was when I was a kid

Ted
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Anytime there's time and they are the slightest bit interested. My son has been going with myself or my wife since he was 18 months. Witnessed his first buck kill at 18 months, and has been in the stand with me for two this year. He now asks to go when I get home from work. He can only hold out for about an hour but it's good time...
    \"If you make men think that they are thinking... you will be loved. But if you truely make a man think... he will hate you\" Theodore Roosevelt

i hear ya geetch...

Let me enlighten you on a little secret....

The key to child care is duct tape!
    \"Every man dies; not every man truely lives.\" William Wallace, Braveheart<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.notebooks4free.com/default.aspx?r=532055\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.notebooks4free.com/default.aspx?r=532055</a>

JUST TAKE THE CHILD HUNTING. EVERYTHING ELSE WILL WORK OUT. MY DAUGHTER IS 13 YEARS OLD AND SHE IS SITTING BY HERSELF NOW, DOG HUNTING AND STILL HUNTING.

MY DAD WOULD PUT HIS FOOT ON MY NECK TO HOLD ME DOWN , WHILE HE SHOT A DEER.

"TAKE TOUR CHILD HUNTING TODAY AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO HUNT HIM TOMORROW"

THIS IS AN OLD BUMPER STICKER.
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Thanks for the ideas. He likes fishing and going out in the boat, so i figure maybe next fall he will make his 1st trip to the woods. Might take him during the rut and sit in a big box stand we have. There are always deer on that field.

CU huntingirl,

It's a standing offer. [img]smile.gif[/img] Especially if you like immature, dashingly handsome 34 year olds.

ok-let's pick a date!

tradorion Coots

Get him girl!!

I was going with dad around age 2-3... killed my first quail with a shotgun at 6. Hunted some alone around 9-10 but that was my dad making a judgement call on my readiness.

I now take friends kids every chance i get- it gives the parents time to get some "real" hunting in while at the same time getting the kid used to it-

DITTO what was said about the kid controlling the hunt- i usually make them stay past one asking of "Can we go now" so they learn they have to wait sometimes... as they get used to it i try to draw things out longer and longer... Snacks, coloring books, a BBgun to shoot from the stand at cans/targets around it when the hunt is over (no- i don't do this on "good" spots- but i do try to give them some shooting time in the tree if possible)

Anyway- get them out there- you will never regret it!

CU- get him girl!!

T

I started taking mine as soon as they walk and climb into the stand. Snacks and those damn computer games keep them occupied during the slow times. Along with homework now.

We have some large box stands which afford cover for safety and restless kids.

Last year I was about to pull the trigger on a deer and my then 5 year old said, while looking at the deer, "Do it Daddy" which about cracked my ass up laughing.

Hunting with the kids is hard work since you have to carry so much more along, but it is worth every minute. I have never regretted a moment having them hunting with me.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

April is a nice month for a wedding.

I guess you don't turkey hunt, Geetch.