Thread: lets here when u got scared in the woods

heres mine

when I killed my first deer which was beside junky housing a screech owl decided to land 5 ft from me when he started hollerin i knew someone had killed somebody but boy was I scared but the quail get me often to haha
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

yeah those quail will scare the shit out of you when its dark and you flush a covey.
    mine would have to be when i was going to pick my buddy up from a deerstand at night and right when he got to his deerstand, he shot. it was VERY loud and scared me to death. why he was shooting at pitch black dark, i dont know.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I had gone deer hunting one afternoon and fell asleep in the stand. When I woke up it was dark very dark. I said damn I dont have a flashlight with me. Well I started walking toward the truck when I heard a sound that made every hair on my body stand up. The sound of a rattle snake. I froze and I was trying to figure out where the sound was coming from but I had no clue. I finally said I got to get out of here so I did the longest standing jump a man can do. When my feet hit the ground I think I was already running 20 mph. I made it out safe and till this day if I hear that sound it brings back memories
    The best time to do something is between yesterday and tomorrow

I'd have to say when I jumped a doe for the first time within 10 feet at dark thirty and w/o a flashlight, that her loud bleat made my heart race for a few seconds. Trekking through the woods on the way to a stand and hearing a very close/unexpected shot will make you wonder who the hell else is out there. Of course the coyotes are always unwelcome. Bobcats letting out a throaty roar at close range also make your neck hairs stand on end. Fighting a big assed squirrel in your stand can be exciting too, but not particularly scary.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

When I was in a stand in the gubment woods up until dark, no flash light of course. Right when I got my stand off the tree I heard two wampus cats hollarin between me and my truck. Oh what a quick trot back that was.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

It was ten years ago and I had just gotten to the woods it wasn’t that hot in Savannah on the last day of the season so I had on a Tee shirt, my favorite one. Just about that time the pain hit me and I had to shit. I ran back to the jeep and the striking paper wasn’t in the striking paper spot. So I was scared as hell that I was going to have to cut the bottom off of my favorite Tee shirt. But the old trusty McDonalds napkins came through in a clutch and I lived happily ever after, kinda.
    Aint nuthin' wrong wit killin' army possums! Or shockin' Catfish!

LMAO at Killa... I felt a rattlesnake roll under my flip flop as I was watching doves pour into a field once ( the Friday before the opener)... I felt it kind of squishy beneath my foot, looked down to see white belly and heard the rattle all about the same time... needless to say had it been 1933 in Berlin, no one would've ever known the name Jessie Owens.
    and I got washed back into a creek on Broad River when Parr took on water quick a few years back... couldn't get the motor started and Labluvr of all people saved my ass.

I was about 12 or 13 years old and was finally able to be on a stand by myself during a dog drive. My Grandaddy made it clear in very certain terms to never leave my stand, NO MATTER WHAT. He put me out on a railroad track with the other standers for a late afternoon drive. It was late November and around 530, all the standers had come down the railroad tracks and tried to get me to come. NOPE. I was not to leave my stand until my grandaddy picked me up. Well, at 10PM, he drove up the road and got me. He went home, put up the dogs ate supper and then rode around looking for the rest of the dogs. He wanted to see just how serious I was and how good of a listener I was. I was right at the same pine tree he left me under. COLD & SCARED, but I didn't move. You could tell he was PROUD that I listened. My mom on the other hand, was fit to be tied!!!

The next season, I was on a stand and heard a shot from the next stander. It was a boy a couple years younger than I and his dad. The dad walked down into the woods a little in front of his son. He was moving around and the son thought it was a deer and shot. He hit his daddy right in the gut. I heard him running down the road and screaming. I asked if he had gotten one and he said, "I shot my daddy, please help"...Well, having passed the "don't leave the stand test" the year before, I knew I had to do something. I unloaded my gun, left it and screamed and ran for about 1/2 mile, screaming for my Grandaddy every step..He heard me and came around to us. I told him what happened(I was a little afraid that I had left the stand) He hugged me and told me I had done the right thing. We picked up the boy's daddy and got him to the hospital. 1 pellet in his large intestine. He lived, but I have never forgotten that site, Nor my grandaddy's hug!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

For me it was when I finally got the age to sit in the tree by myself. Went hunting with the old man one afternoon. Got to my tree stand, he got me up in it and said I'll be back at dark, do not get out of tree. Well he had worked the night before and hadn't slept much that day. He fell asleep in the tree and woke around 10:30p.m. Said he heard the most awful screams he had ever heard in his life on the way to get me. Needless to say I told him I didn't hear anything. LOL
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

For me, it was when I stepped out of my truck oblivious to what I was doing except for trying to sneak up on a deer I'd just observed on a food plot down the road a bit, and when I stepped out of my truck, I put my foot squarely down on the head of a pigmy rattle snake. My heart almost stopped. I looked down as something cuaght my eye and there was this thing writhing under my foot. I'm like "sheeeet" so I jumped back and told him to go on his way. He decided he wanted to strike at me, so he met an untimely demise with a well placed pistol shot.

Then there was the time I was 12 and was walking through a field to get the unbroken clay pigeons that I'd missed while learning to shoot moving targets. I had my first shotgun, a Savage 20 gauge single barrel, over my shoulder and I flushed a few quail. I thought I was going to crap my pants. I'm just lucky I didn't scream like a little girl. I think I was just too shocked to do anything other than jump 5 feet in the air.

Then there was last season where I was on a stand in Fairfield Co. and supposed to be the ONLY person on the property and I hear a gunshot followed by the sound of a bullet whizzing by my stand which is 16 feet up in the air. Was he shooting at me? Why was he shooting at an upward angle on flat land?
    "Vis pacem - para bellum" If you want peace be ready for the war.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

1987 - Mule deer hunting in Western Colorado. I was 15 and hunting out of our normal element for the first time. My dad put me on a ridge by myself overlooking a small sage field. He was going to be over another ridge and we didn't have radios.

I was sitting on the ground and watched as a coyote cruised through the sage. I didn't shoot since I wasn't sure that we could even take a coyote. The ranch owner later told me to never let one walk w/o getting off a shot.

That was the 1st coyote I'd seen at that point and I was still reeling over whether or not I should have taken a shot when something snorted about 8' behind me. I heard the deer run off, but was too busy just about pissing all over myself to turn around. I still don't know how that deer got so close that I never heard it before it blew. I kept thinking that if a deer could sneak up on me, then what could that coyote do? I swore at that point that I wouldn't be able to get off that mountain alive. All kinds of crazy shit'll go through your head.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Deer hunting on a little creek off of Murray while in college, the easiest way to reach get back to the truck in the dark was to walk on the slick mudbank of the creek while the water was low. I was walking along by moonlight and stepping very tentatively when a beaver slapped the water right next to me. Knew instantly what it was but still that millisecond before it registered I thought I had been shot.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

When I was in school I was deer hunting by myself. Walking out of the woods at night with my treestand on my back and went to cross a small creek (nothing more than about a 5 foot deep drain with rocks on both sides. Started down and slipped and went head first. Felt my head hit the rock at the bottom and then my stand slammed into the back of my head. I lost consciousness for a few seconds and when I stood up I was disoriented. It was black black dark and I couldn't see anything. Flashlight was of course in my Jeep. I couldn't see the stars or the moon and wasn't thinking so clear. Panic came over me as I thought I might be lost. Rather than sitting down for a few minutes and letting my head clear I started off on what seemed to be a good direction. Nothing seemed familiar and I fought back the urge to run. I was in a big track of woods and knew that I would not find my way out by stumbling around. I finally sat down long enough to think through the topography and started off in another direction. I at this point had calmed down and accepted that the worst that would happen is I would get eaten by bugs and spend the night in the woods. No big deal. Not long later I found my way back to a reference point.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Dang Sneaky. That sounds rough, but it does explain a lot.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

South Texas Deer hunt about 5 years ago. Had a 5.5 ot 6 ft western diamon back get in my ground blind with me. Had deer standing 5 feet away and did not want to spook them because a huge 8 point I had seen on several days in a row was suppose to walk by in 4 minutes if it was like the 2 days before when I saw him at a distance. I thought the leaves moving to my right were birds hoping around, when I looked down after the does had moved on he was lying long ways with his head between my legs and his body lying acroos by right foot. He had no clue I was there. Had only a bow and could not move. He decided he was going to bed down there for the niight so at last light with the big 8 standing there I just jumped straight up and out. The deer almost had a heart attack, I think I had a mild one and the snake but me on my left boot put did not penetrate. After a full 20 minutes of shaking I regained enough composure to shoot the snake with a broad head and go back in to the blind to retreive him and my day pack he was holding hostage.
    Any of you call bull shit I have a picture of the snake and a witness to how white a was when I got back to camp.

I am sure a couple people have had this happen to them. It was one of my first times using a climber, when I was about 14 and as I was sitting there looking around, I kicked the bottom of the climber out of the tree. Needless to say, I didnt tie off the bottom piece to the top seat, so I just watched it fall to the bottom of the tree. I was still sitting there at the top of the tree when my dad came and got me because I hadnt come home. That was a scary feeling.
    HRCH Dog\'s Lil Legacy SH

a few years back I was elk hunting in Montana and ran a grizzley off a gut pile,on the way back, in the near dark there were grizz tracks in mine from the way in.Very high in pucker factor.

Age 12- Sat in a ground blind with a hornet nest above my head. It was big enough that if they all were to vote to kill me they could have met their goal.

Age 16- Hunting with the late Richard Goff in Saluda off of 121 and Hollywood Rd. Large copperhead decided to give me a glancing brush against my duck head pants. I shit a competition grunt call. The snake is still alive as far as I know.

Fast Forward 13 years...

Age 29- Jasper County with SC DUCKS own OffShoreDuck21. Parked the truck on the very edge of a lengthy path to the duck pond in early October. Temperature close to 100, no shoulders out like nobody's business. OSD mentions as we leave the truck, "Maybe you should lead."

He had on boat shoes. No socks.

Within exactly 5 seconds I had stepped over a 3' copperhead. We were both toast. Rather than killing the snake out of meanness, I shook my hand at a very rapid pace while holding a loaded and cocked .38 revolver pointed toward the old bastard. The shaking of both of my legs almost had him easing along when I decided I would fire for effect. Two shots later we split paths. Alas, my calm demeanor and take charge style saved the day.