Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's got a creek boat?

Default Who's got a creek boat?

I know a few of you fellas have or have had a creek boat at one time or another.

Pros? Cons?

I have been eyeing the M98 but have never seen one in person. Is it stable? How easy is it to stand in? It would only be used in backwaters/ponds/creeks and the most load in it would be me and the dog but most of the time it would just be me.

The price point seems good and they are very light which is nice.

Thanks guys!

I have the one man creek boat. Can handle a fair amount of weight. Had two 250+ guys, decoys and gear in it and it still floated us. Not as stable as the otter boats. Lightweight and pretty tough. I'm happy with it.

These are pretty good boats for the money. I have the M80 8' and 36lbs. The one your looking at is longer and I believe more stable....good choice. I wish I'd got that one. I've used the one man creek boats and they're good. The one I have, M80, is a little too short and doesn't track well and does not really like my 200+ ass. it's a good puddle jumper but the regular one man boat like your looking is a good boat.

get a marsh rat, thank me later
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    get a marsh rat, thank me later
    Are they more stable? Easier to paddle? I need some reasons why the rat is better....

Phone - Do you have the poly model or the fiberglass one?

Quote Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
    Are they more stable? Easier to paddle? I need some reasons why the rat is better....
    They're stable enough that I can stand up in mine and push pole across thick grass and even shoot when the odd opportunity arises. As for the paddling part, they track pretty well with a kayak paddle but you aren't going anywhere fast. I've talked myself out of paddling down current away from my boat in a fast moving river more than once for fear I wouldn't make it back.

they paddle about the same as my m96 i had. A short boat like that isn't going to paddle that great, but it does good enough. It is a heck of a lot more stable than the creak boat. Mine is polyetheline
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I know it's not going to paddle like a kayak or a canoe and I expect that from small boat. It does seem more stable than the creek boat though. My concern with the marsh rat is the weight capacity which is only 260lbs.

The other reason I'm leaning towards the creek boat is the price and not having to pay freight to get it here from Oregon. Apparently Sportsmans Warehouse is a marsh rat dealer but of course they don't have any in stock. Seems to me that the creek boat would be right at about $500 if I picked it up and with shipping the marsh rat would be closer to the $800 range.

it will hold more than the little creek boat

Quote Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
    I know it's not going to paddle like a kayak or a canoe and I expect that from small boat. It does seem more stable than the creek boat though. My concern with the marsh rat is the weight capacity which is only 260lbs.
    I've never met a boat I couldn't safely exceed the coast guard weight limit. Test out the marsh rat it's a great boat. At one time I had two of them. Carried me, dekes, dog and was over the "limit" and it did fine.

What are you needing this boat to do?

For short paddles and marsh hunting the Marsh Rat is ideal. Folks have "layout" shot from them but I wouldn't recommend it, 15' of water and a any chop you'd be risking it. It ain't a pirogue and won't skate across mud so that's my reason for selling the two I had.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I agree with you Cajun about the weight capacity...the coast guard ratings are pretty conservative most of the time.

I'm planning on using this boat mainly in backwater creeks, ponds, and the occasional short float trip on a river. It will most likely be more of a tool to retrieve/put out decoys and ducks when the dog is not needed. I don't plan to use it as a layout boat but simply a boat to get places that the jon boat can't get to.

I actually spoke with Tim at Creek Boats yesterday and I'm able to pick the boat up from the factory for about half the price of getting the marsh rat shipped. We'll see what happens and if I don't like the M98, I'll be looking into the marsh rat.

I do appreciate the input though.
    Last edited by c-dub; 09-21-2012 at 07:24 AM.

I have a rat and my buddy has an m96 if you wanna try before you buy. You can get the rats from sportsmans warehouse for 5 something

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    You can get the rats from sportsmans warehouse for 5 something
    I was in there the other day and asked about the marsh rat and the person I talked to looked at me like

Phone - Where are you located?

Im in sumter

He's in Scupter. I've been in both too. I helped Phone get his CB, also laughed my arse off first time they went to the water and buddy flipped his CB.

Here's a little info I can throw your way, test them both if you can get up with Phone.

Creek Boat will, paddle better, steer better, and navagate float trips better, but it is not stable(my kayak is way better than the CB), it is heavy( I think) compared to the Rat.

The marsh Rat doesn't paddle well, it can be done with practice and a yak paddle, but current will spin you, it will hold more than 260, I know Phone had a bunch of stuff in his on the lake, it can be used as a lay out is small/remote water, it is easy to grass in and hide with its lower profile.

If you do decide on the creek, let me know.
    Phillipians 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by dukhuntr View Post
    Creek Boat will, paddle better, steer better, and navagate float trips better
    This is the only reason why I am leaning towards the creek boat instead of the marsh rat...at least for now.

and Phone, I appreciate the offer to test both out. I'll be in touch if I can make it down your way.

Friends of mine in Peak and West Cola bought my two. Since you're in Irmo, if you want to try their boats PM your number.

Main thing to remember when shooting while floating is to practice, even from the Marsh Rat. Go to Murray and try shooting a 3" or 3 1/2" port or starboard. On occasion, I can, and will shoot from a floating kayak or pirogue......but only straight over the bow when chasing cripples. If you're deep enough, you will flip and possibly die if you attempt otherwise.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Well yesterday me and a buddy decided to make the run up to NC and pick up the M98. We both bought one and because of that we got a good deal even including the gas to get there. I haven't put it in the water yet but it seems like it's going to be a good all around small water boat for hunting and fishing. I'm going to take it out this week so we'll see what happens.

Tim with Creekboats was a super nice guy and great to deal with. He was happy to answer any questions and even showed us around the shop so we could see exactly how they were made. If nothing else, they're customer service is on point.

Thanks again for all the input guys. I do appreciate it.