Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webfoot Retrievers

Default Webfoot Retrievers

Just got a female black lab and am probably going to send her to obedience school with Ray at Webfoot Retrievers of Holly Hill. Anybody heard anything bad about him. I have only heard good things. Thanks

....great guy
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

Let this thread hang around a couple days before you make a final decision.

You should probably refresh your inbox...I was leaning toward the same route you were about this time last year just simply out of "convenience" bc he was located fairly close to where I live...within a hour....

I soon realized I was getting ready to go down a road I had no business going down

Still can't thank ALL the folks of the retriever forum enough for steering me clear of that train wreck and talking me into doing it myself...
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

NBK Pro-staff

This would just really be for obedience school. With football season, weddings and other things coming up I just dont have time for the month of October. I have some really good material I was given by someone who trained their own and I have hunted with him many times and he is great, by no means a Master Hunter but he is just a great dog. I just wanted to get her started with a good base something for me to build on. Please keep the input coming.

You dont have 15 mins a day for your dog?

I can not bring her to these out of town weddings that is my main issue.

Then find someone worth a shit and bring the dog there. You don't drop your kids off at uncle Larry's the pedophile, bc no one else will watch them do you? you need to talk to some trainers and decide what your goal is anyway. You state you want the dog to learn basic obedience, but that you hunt with it already and it is a pretty good dog. That tells me one of two things. Your the guy who shows up with his dog opening day and the god damn thing runs around like a chicken with its head cut off, or your dog already knows basic obedience and it needs to progress to the next level of training. Either way...you need to do some research, talk with some trainers, and other folks with dogs. Decide what you want to achieve with the training for yourself and your dog. Then go with who you think will be the best fit, not whoever is closest bc you don't feel like getting off your ass to take fido to someone who will do a decent job with the dog.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 09-13-2012 at 02:49 PM.

If your reading comprehension skills were as good as your response I would probably listen. Thanks for the input.

Don't wanna be a dick and I hope I'm not coming off as one but as stated above...

Set aside 2-3 15minute sessions a day and work with the pup...it goes a long way. Even if you don't have time everyday.... 3 days a week is still great.

When you go out of town find a doggie daycare kennel for the weekend. It'll be the same exact thing as ray has to offer.

Just from going to his place 2x I quickly saw that certain dogs get more attention than others. He seems like a nice guy but his training methods aren't what I was looking for. One trainer that has 10-15 dogs at a time can not possibly give each individual dog what it needs ...

He'll even tell you that...I met him and spent several hours with him on 2 different occasions and quickly learned that. On top of all the "reviews" that I gathered from here I still went back with a open mind and gave him a honest chance.

I guess you just have to sit down and think about what you want and what you expect out of our dog (realistically) and weigh that against what you gather from here and gather from him and arrive at your conclusion

NBK Pro-staff

No I appreciate the response. I do try and work with her as often and as long as she will let me. I am glad to hear your response about him. Thanks

Reading your post is like reading a Chinese newspaper. You call your dog a male in one part of a sentence. Then refer to "her" in another sentence. And your post elevates my blood pressure....sounds like some priorities need to be reexamined. It reads to me that you don't have time for a dog you are responsible for.

Post was really just asking for what people had heard about Ray from Webfoot Retrievers not about the dog. Sorry for raising your blood pressure.

How old is the pup and where are you located?
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

She is 7 weeks old right now when I want to send her to school she will be 10 weeks. Live in Charleston, have a place in Lone Star on Lake Marion.

I understand your question you raised...but the rest of the post pretty much says I bought a dog that I don't feel like dealing with a lot of times, who can I send it off to so I can go get drunk on the weekends instead of dealing with this flea bag

There a bunch of cats on here that'd be more than willing to help you out ...

Hang tight and thicken the skin up and I'm sure they'll be along to help

PS
    Watch out for that FEETDOWN fella...he's kinda kweer :gay:

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by romeocadet08 View Post
    There a bunch of cats on here that'd be more than willing to help you out ...

Hang tight and thicken the skin up and I'm sure they'll be along to help

PS
    Watch out for that FEETDOWN fella...he's kinda kweer :gay:
    He has dealt with marsh chicken's douche baggery pretty well.

I know nothing of this kennel you speak of, but this site has been around a LONG time covering all kinds of topics.

Click on the Search tab and do a search on Webfoot, betcha a dollar this has been discussed before...

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I understand your question you raised...but the rest of the post pretty much says I bought a dog that I don't feel like dealing with a lot of times, who can I send it off to so I can go get drunk on the weekends instead of dealing with this flea bag
    Asshole retriever snob. He is trying to take care of the damn dog all while further educating said dog at the same time. Just like you would a kid when you have something that you have to do on a weekend, you find someone to watch your kid. Geez. It is a dog, and i am thankful he is not just leaving the damn dog in the kennel for the weekends that he is gone. LIKE MOST PEOPLE WOULD!!

Jackass...

Thanks, on another note did you train your own? What did you use as a reference material? I have Evan Grahams Smart Fetch DVD and Smart Work Puppy Program. Ever heard of them?