Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to?

Where's spellcheck been. He popped in then left again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Thanks its the first duck i shot and im proud of it so thats all that counts to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rottenlog View Post
    Thanks its the first duck i shot and im proud of it so thats all that counts to me.
    rightfully so. Its Merganser though, not a duck. Beautiful birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    rightfully so. Its Merganser though, not a duck. Beautiful birds.

A merganser is a duck, Dook.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    A merganser is a duck, Dook.
    Duck like bird
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Duck

Then why are they not listed under ducks? Just wondering.
    Last edited by fowlshot; 09-12-2012 at 06:27 PM.

A merganser is a duck. End of discussion. Just damn...

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/resear...-megansers.php

Is a merganser a duck? If so, what distinguishes a duck from other waterfowl? -Aaron Sutherlin
    Hello Aaron,
    This is probably a question that many waterfowlers have asked themselves a time or two. A quick answer to this question is, “Yes, mergansers are ducks.” The most likely reason for mergansers having a separate limit from other ducks, is they are a bird not often pursued by hunters...most likely as a result of being considered undesirable table fare.
    In a broad sense, the term waterfowl mainly refers to ducks, geese and swans. In a classification scheme, collectively they are grouped into the Family Anatidae (swans, geese and ducks). Further divided, swans and geese fall into the Subfamily Anserinae, while ducks fall into the Subfamily Anatinae.
    Thanks for sending in your question.

"
    One of the sweetest subsections of the duck family has to be the sawbills, formally known as mergansers. Mergansers are a family of diving waterfowl in Merginae, the seaduck subfamily of Anatidae. Ironically, only one of these seaducks is truly a seafarer, the others favoring rivers and lakes. The name ‘merganser’ is said to have originated with the German naturalist, Gesner in the mid-16th century. This comes from a combination of the Latin words mergus (diver) and anser (goose).
    Mergansers are sometimes referred to sawbills because of their long, serrated bills. These narrow bills, hooked at the tip and set with numerous horny denticulations, are adapted for catching fish, a merganser’s primary source of food. Mergansers primarily feed on small or medium-sized fishes which they capture underwater by swift pursuit. These divers also supplement their piscine diet with frogs and aquatic insects."

http://10000birds.com/mergansers.htm

"Mergus are seaducks that primarily feed on fish. Along with the Smew and Hooded Merganser, they are therefore often known as "sawbills" - so named because of the serrated edges to their bills to help them grip their slippery prey.
    Most of the merganser species favor riverine habitats, the exception being the Red-breasted Merganser, which is common at sea."

http://www.avianweb.com/merganserducks.html
    Last edited by XHailGC; 09-12-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Thank God for the internet duck-ologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    Thank God for the internet duck-ologist.

Well, I mean how else am I supposed to prove it is a duck? Should I mail them an encyclopedia? Should I send them to the library and reference the Dewey decimal system? This is 2012, not 1985 Jeeves.

I would tell um to get FUCKED! OUT! Whoops. Might get banned.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"