Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Feeder ?

Candor,
    I hear from Mergie and Lab that the REAL reason is...
    You're too tight to spend money on planting plots to hunt over. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

15 years hunting the upstate and 5 in the LC, I much prefer the upstate hunting - hiking into a nice oak ridge or hardwood creek bottom that I've scouted and hunted for years with the Ol Man climber on my back, as opposed to sitting my but in a tower stand over looking a corn pile 200 yards from my truck. I love that type of hunting but a lot of places I hunt in the LC you can't see 15 feet much less walk through it - hence the aid of corn. I do however hunt over fresh cutdowns and agricultural fields when available down here (without corn). With that said I still enjoy my corn pile hunting very much. I'm thankful for any opportunity to hunt and see game, but much prefer the style and methods Candor describes.

I hunt over corn piles. 2 of them. The rest is food plots and normal agriculture(soybeans & corn).
    I have killed 1 deer over a corn pile in the past 4 years. It was a 120 class 10pt. He was behind me on the tree line rubbing and grunting. I grunted back and started shaking the limbs around me. 5 minutes later he circled around me to the corn pile. He did not have a chance to eat even if he was going to.
    I kill my does on "club" stands over food plots or agriculture.
    My main thrill of food plots is not only hunting over them, but preparing them. There isn't a much more beautiful site than a nice green oat or wheat field on a frosty SC morning. Well maybe being miles deep in the swamp, but our property doesn't offer that.
    And the food plots also offer the nutritional value during the winter that the deer need. Since we started planting our winter grazers 34 years ago we are now seeing does with twins and even some triplets. Our herd has exploded and the quality of our bucks has improved.
    I will continue to hunt corn piles, food plots, farmers crops. I will also do as Candor eluded to and strike out into the woods and hunt signs.
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Oh... I have never and will never use a feeder. I am close enough to my property to corn twice a week by hand. I do not want to be hunting and look at a barrell...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

We've tried the feeders, but the deer never took to them, even after having them up for nearly a year. Finally, we went back to corn piles where we use bait. The best use I ever got out of the feeder I own was putting it out on a feeder strip in a dove field prior to the season for a couple months. The doves piled up on that thing. Sadly, after I removed it, they left.
    I like to hunt sign, plots, corn piles and fields, and walk-up. They all have their advantages, but I do so enjoy planting plots and watching the game that use them.

Originally posted by Slaya:
    Candor,
    I hear from Mergie and Lab that the REAL reason is...
    You're too tight to spend money on planting plots to hunt over. [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
    You should place no credibility, none, in anything either of those two wise asses say.

None.

[img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have shot plenty of deer with my bow in the low country. I cut my teeth deer hunting in Colleton county. No doubt it is different from hunting Upstate deer. My experience has been it is much easier hunting overall in the low country.

Certainly the first week or two the acorns fall up here are great for bowhunting...but that is a very short period.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

I'm thinking of wrapping pine garland around the legs of the tripod feeders. Make it look more natrual. Maybe it will help, maybe not.