Thread: How old?

Default How old?

I was thinking of getting my son one of those low grade BB gun. Not the kind that you pump a lot. He is almost 4, and he already knows not to point toy guns at anyone. He will only have the BB gun whenever I take him on dog drives so he will be supervised when its in use.

Is that too young to let him start shooting?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345414004.842588.jpg

My oldest when he was almost three with his 22 and his first raccoon
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Look at one of the Daisy Bucks.

I believe I might go ahead and purchase one for him so he can learn the importance of gun safety. He is excited about joining me this year on dog drives.

Daisey Red Ryder. I killed so much shit with it when I was 5, they closed hunting season the following year.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Heck, they're not but around 25 to 30 bucks. They're cut down to a size that he might be able to shoulder. My son, my middle child still wants a gun with a scope. There's no way he is going to see one until he's very capable with iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Heck, they're not but around 25 to 30 bucks. They're cut down to a size that he might be able to shoulder. My son, my middle child still wants a gun with a scope. There's no way he is going to see one until he's very capable with iron sights.
    Amen.

Colt has his toy guns and he manages them very well. He's got a few rifles waiting on him for when he's ready.

Having said that, he has a scope, too. It's an old Tasco that my brother gave me.

For now, it's a toy. He likes to play with it, and I explained to him what exactly it was for. He understands, as he's seen my scoped rifles.

He'll be more than proficient with irons before he ever sees a scope on anything he shoots.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Get him a Red Ryder and practice with him while teaching him the steps. Let him shoot it enough to get to love it, then make him prove to you he is safe before letting him shoot it alone while you stand nearby and watch him.

Also each time after y'all shoot the gun, empty it, clean it just like you would one of your Big guns, and then put it away safely. Do this with all the pomp and circumstance that you can muster. Ritualize the whole thing while showing respect for the weapon. Keep it fun but make it a serious learning experience.

All this will teach him respect for the weapon and what it can do while at the same time make him feel like you are trusting him with a big man's weapon/tool. Brag on him excessively when he does each little thing right.

Let him know he's let you down when he messes up. Don't be too serious and don't fuss at him, but make sure he knows you are especially proud of him when he does a good job. And disappointed when he messes up. Always take time to show you are really interested in every question he has and everytime he wants to talk about the BB gun. No question is trivial, let him know they are all very important to you.

Treat him like a little man and he'll be one.

Little boys love nothing more than pleasing their dad and making them proud of them. Let him do this. You'll be surprised how fast he learns to do everything right and how much he will come to love shooting "his" gun.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 08-19-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

You'll shoot your eye out kid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I bought my 4yo one of those Crickett .22's. He's still learning but does pretty well. He just doesn't like to shoot if there is an audience.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Get him a Red Ryder and practice with him while teaching him the steps. Let him shoot it enough to get to love it, then make him prove to you he is safe before letting him shoot it alone while you stand nearby and watch him.

Also each time after y'all shoot the gun, empty it, clean it just like you would one of your Big guns, and then put it away safely. Do this with all the pomp and circumstance that you can muster. Ritualize the whole thing while showing respect for the weapon. Keep it fun but make it a serious learning experience.

All this will teach him respect for the weapon and what it can do while at the same time make him feel like you are trusting him with a big man's weapon/tool. Brag on him excessively when he does each little thing right.

Let him know he's let you down when he messes up. Don't be too serious and don't fuss at him, but make sure he knows you are especially proud of him when he does a good job. And disappointed when he messes up. Always take time to show you are really interested in every question he has and everytime he wants to talk about the BB gun. No question is trivial, let him know they are all very important to you.

Little boys love nothing more than pleasing their dad and making them proud of them. Let him do this. You'll be surprised how fast he learns to do everything right and how much he will come to love shooting "his" gun.
    great post. will remember this when the time comes w my 2 yr old. thanks for the read.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post

Great info. I'll probably get him a Red Ryder and depending on how well he does, I will get a .22 for Christmas. Ofcourse, he won't be able to touch them unless I am around.