Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATV vs. Electric Cart

Default ATV vs. Electric Cart

Guys I need some discussion about electric carts vs atv for hunting and home use. I have a 04 350 4 x 4 rancher. It has been a great piece of equipment. Normal wear and tear, but a beast of a bike that has traveled all over with me, including the dakotas.

Well I have a 2 YO now. He does love to ride the "wheel" but I need something a little more kid friendly, and something we can ride as a family.

I have been looking around at the bad boys, ruff n tuff, john deere, polaris, off brands and what have you. I cant decide on anything that will replace the ATV. However, I am one to live within my means, so if a new cart or bike is had, the old one has to go.

#1 How much do you think the old Honda would bring from a private buyer?

#2 Will these companies take trade ins and give me what the wheel is worth?

#3 those of you cart owners, please give me the cons of the electric cart.

#4 Out of the electric carts on the market, whether used or new, what seems to be the most bang for the buck?

Any help is appreciated, and i am gonna hang up and listen. Thanks guys, have a good weekend.

Clemson sucks!!! o wait nevermind.

seriously, those electric carts can't go near the places an atv can go imo. like a deep woods stand or to a deer you don't want to drag a few hundred yards. thats my 2 cents. i have a 2yr old also and understand your thought process.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I was looking at the carts a year or so ago, the Ruff n Tuff seemed to be the "best bang", however I think they closed, but there may still be some closeouts floating around. Good thing is even if they dont make them anymore, they are ez-go compatible.

I think that a child is easier to hold/control on a 4 wheeler. You make a sharp turn on a jacked up cart without seatbelts, kid not paying attention may tumble.

I have done some research on lift kits, baskets, camo graphic wrap, etc. and if you can get your hands on a basic golf cart, you can add the hunting parts/additions over time. All together, they don't cost 10,000

I drove a Bad Boy Buggy this weekend. It was pretty sweet. It'll run 45 mph or so, but you can turn them down. I thought the battery life was pretty good (probably get 1-1:30 hr run time out of it). What I didn't like was the noise that the front transfer case makes. When you let off the gas, it makes a heck of a whining noise.

The coolest thing was that it had ATV mud tires on it and would bark all 4 tires on the pavement. Guy said that model runs about $11k, but they have slimmer models.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Thank you for posting this Dookie. Guy just called me an bought the ranger, so I'm in the market now also.

SM, I'm otw over there now to look at that BBB but I can not for the life of me see paying in excess of 10 grand for a BBB when a $3500 EZ-GO will fill my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

What's the deal with that Gas/Electric cart that BBB has out now? How much does that thing cost? Not that it matters, I spent all my fun money on a hunk of fiberglass.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    What's the deal with that Gas/Electric cart that BBB has out now?
    The deal is this: That was my design. We did this at Ruff and Tuff before the bottom fell out.

Those fuckers ripped us off.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    The deal is this: That was my design. We did this at Ruff and Tuff before the bottom fell out.

Those fuckers ripped us off.
    What is all this WE shit, you got a mouse in ya pocket?

talk english boy, this aint the sports forum.

Turbo worked for em, if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

What is all this WE shit, you got a mouse in ya pocket?

talk english boy, this aint the sports forum.
    "We" means:

1. VP of Engineering (initials PW)

2. Lead Engineer (me)

3. Designer/Fabricator (initials CW)

English enough for you, "boy"?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

To answer your question, dook...

Get yourself a used EZGO and a winch. Have some fun on a budget.

Or... you can spend an extra $6-8k for 4wd.

The TXT model was built with Dana axels. She'll take a beating. The controller and motor are what you have to be careful with. If you burn 'em up, you can upgrade the motor, controller and wiring much cheaper than what a BBB/HuntVee/Stealth will cost you and the accessories are much cheaper.
    Last edited by turbo; 08-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I have the exact same ATV Dook. And thinking about the same thing. Good part for me is the wife wants a golf cart to ride around the neighborhood so she said it was cool to go get one. But like you I just cant see spending 11K on a dang golf cart...

Y'all should have jumped on this thing before I did. I've got a Ranger also, and it has it's own little problems. It can go through some mess though, this one I haven't tested out as much. The only downfall I can see would be when it's time to replace batteries, maybe power, but gracious the thing is quiet. Normal maintenance is going to apply with any offroad vehicle.

This is a 4x4.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    "We" means:

1. VP of Engineering (initials PW)

2. Lead Engineer (me)

3. Designer/Fabricator (initials CW)

English enough for you, "boy"?
    Good English, typin ain't talkin. You know what I mean. I didn't know any of the above.

Keep your 4 wheeler for hunting and buy a used cart. 10 grand for an electric cart is plain fucking stupid when you already have a four wheeler.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Y'all should have jumped on this thing before I did. I've got a Ranger also, and it has it's own little problems. It can go through some mess though, this one I haven't tested out as much. The only downfall I can see would be when it's time to replace batteries, maybe power, but gracious the thing is quiet. Normal maintenance is going to apply with any offroad vehicle.

This is a 4x4.
    Is that kevins? I have a very low opinion of bad boys due to kevins troubles with his.

I am not a ranger/ rhino kinda guy, to loud, and to me the most uncomfortable sunsabitches ever made. My .02.

Turbinatti, we took ab ezgo to nodak in 01, 4x4, for yhe most part it was great. It had super swamper tirea, and we wod havd to get off every hunert yards with shovels and clean the prarie mud from betwixt the fender and the wheels.

Is that kevins? I have a very low opinion of bad boys due to kevins troubles with his.

I am not a ranger/ rhino kinda guy, to loud, and to me the most uncomfortable sunsabitches ever made. My .02.

Turbinatti, we took ab ezgo to nodak in 01, 4x4, for yhe most part it was great. It had super swamper tirea, and we wod havd to get off every hunert yards with shovels and clean the prarie mud from betwixt the fender and the wheels.
    It was 's, and he sold it for a pretty good price. I like it. I haven't had it for long enough to tear it up, but so far it's been good. A Ranger gets my pick over everything, but mine is loud.

i have been debating the same scenario with my 05 Rubicon but you just can't tear up a Honda. i don't know if the BBB is any better but every cart-gone-utv i've ever been in rides like a 2-horse wagon. i am sure you can upgrade the suspension on 'em to help a bit but damn they'll rattle your teeth out of your head on any kind of rough road.
    Last edited by shrpshtr; 08-17-2012 at 06:53 PM.

We gotta Kubota diesel four seat utv at work and that thing is a beast but it also cost about 14000 too but it sure would be nice around the farm

I'd stay away from the electric carts. If you don't like a Ranger or Rhino, find yourself an older gas cart. They are relatively quite and can be found at a deal if you look hard enough. I sold mine a few years ago and wish I hadn't.