Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: High Rollers 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    my cousin works at an unnamed lowcountry plantation that buys mallards every year. He asked the manager why they dont shoot the mallards until the end of the season, and he was told because the mallards were there for decoys, not for hunting.
    Why leave it unnamed? Edit.pure chicken shit to make an accusation without naming.....
    Last edited by sprigdog; 08-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    Why leave it unnamed? Edit.pure chicken shit to make an accusation without naming.....
    the point was what they did, not who did it.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Typical...common knowledge everyone does it. You state "a plantation" does it..well, no shit....name them..otherwise, your initial post is like a CNN report.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I had the same stance as marshman when I first moved here. I had seen Camp Woodie adds in magazines long before I even thought I would live here. I thought how cool that would be to live some place I could send my kids to a summer camp that is hunting oriented. I expressed those opinions, and everyone on here expressed theirs....

Well, even though I'm not a very smart man, I can research with the best of them.

See, I had never even heard of "stocking" ducks. We got up every morning, put 2 layers of the white thermal underwear on, 2 pairs cotton socks, Levis over the top, then rubber hip boots and headed down to the river. Keeping our fingers crossed that they didnt release water from the dam 50 miles upriver..if they did, we stripped buck naked and waded nut deep to the sandbars. Deep for a 12 year old. We put out 6 flambeau decoys and stayed til we were so cold we had to go home. That was duck hunting..we had lots of ducks, it was just a special treat when a few decoyed and we killed a couple.

I wonder if I had a pond full of stocked ducks flying around, and grown-ups telling me when to shoot, or "going on walks" to "make the birds fly again", if I would be the same person I am today..good or bad..hell no. See, those early days of just me and my brother walking to the river, the mighty Rio Grande, wading in 38 degree water, and shooting a single shot H&R 20 gauge and missing constantly produced a fire that cant be extinguished inside of me. It made me who I am. I live to hunt, I work so I can hunt, I got married so I can hunt..I literally told my wife and future in-laws, "I think I'll keep her around because I need her to watch my dog when I'm out at sea" boarding fees were killing me. True story.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. Duck hunting is the greatest thing out there. Too many instant gratification punks are ruining my passion, Camp Woodie and the SCWA enables the punks.

Stocking ducks, thats just gay.
    Proud to know you, proud to have shot ducks with you.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    The SCWA camp a great place for kids to be introduced to duck hunting and other outdoor activities.Any camp that lights kids fire for hunting and the outdoors is doing something right.My son did not attend but my brothers son did and all he could talk about when he got back was duck calls and how he was ready for duck season.If you dont agree that what they do for kids is worthwhile then you are an idiot.I dont agree with baiting deer in the lower part of the state but its legal so I keep my trap shut.What SCWA does is legal so you should do the same.
    Yea keep thinking that. I went there a long time ago when it was still pretty new. It was the worst camp experience I have ever been to. The local Wildlife Action Camp in Mullins beats Camp Woodie to a bloody pulp. Camp Woodie was a rich kid camp when I went and I am sure it hasnt changed. Releasing and killing ducks is not hunting. I realized that after a week there. Duck hunting was what my dad introduced me to. Putting on layers riding up the Lumber River freezing your ass off at 5am. Setting up as the sky begins to brighten just hoping you picked the right spot. Cooling temperatures and changing leaves get me excited about duck hunting, not that i went to a tamie shooting camp some odd years ago.
    I had the same stance as marshman when I first moved here. I had seen Camp Woodie adds in magazines long before I even thought I would live here. I thought how cool that would be to live some place I could send my kids to a summer camp that is hunting oriented. I expressed those opinions, and everyone on here expressed theirs....

Well, even though I'm not a very smart man, I can research with the best of them.

See, I had never even heard of "stocking" ducks. We got up every morning, put 2 layers of the white thermal underwear on, 2 pairs cotton socks, Levis over the top, then rubber hip boots and headed down to the river. Keeping our fingers crossed that they didnt release water from the dam 50 miles upriver..if they did, we stripped buck naked and waded nut deep to the sandbars. Deep for a 12 year old. We put out 6 flambeau decoys and stayed til we were so cold we had to go home. That was duck hunting..we had lots of ducks, it was just a special treat when a few decoyed and we killed a couple.

I wonder if I had a pond full of stocked ducks flying around, and grown-ups telling me when to shoot, or "going on walks" to "make the birds fly again", if I would be the same person I am today..good or bad..hell no. See, those early days of just me and my brother walking to the river, the mighty Rio Grande, wading in 38 degree water, and shooting a single shot H&R 20 gauge and missing constantly produced a fire that cant be extinguished inside of me. It made me who I am. I live to hunt, I work so I can hunt, I got married so I can hunt..I literally told my wife and future in-laws, "I think I'll keep her around because I need her to watch my dog when I'm out at sea" boarding fees were killing me. True story.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. Duck hunting is the greatest thing out there. Too many instant gratification punks are ruining my passion, Camp Woodie and the SCWA enables the punks.

Stocking ducks, thats just gay.
    This is "it". You dont get "it" from camp woodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucs18 View Post
    Yea keep thinking that. I went there a long time ago when it was still pretty new. It was the worst camp experience I have ever been to. The local Wildlife Action Camp in Mullins beats Camp Woodie to a bloody pulp. Camp Woodie was a rich kid camp when I went and I am sure it hasnt changed. Releasing and killing ducks is not hunting. I realized that after a week there. Duck hunting was what my dad introduced me to. Putting on layers riding up the Lumber River freezing your ass off at 5am. Setting up as the sky begins to brighten just hoping you picked the right spot. Cooling temperatures and changing leaves get me excited about duck hunting, not that i went to a tamie shooting camp some odd years ago.

This is "it". You dont get "it" from camp woodie.
    Yep!

Good read sprig and aucs..everybody doesn't and may not ever understand what duck hunting really is. It is just like any other part of life, if everything has been handed to you you will not appreciate it. To most every scwa guy all it's for is a picture.

I will say that the property is a pretty good spot to have a hunt test. Or used to be anyway.

Sprig-that post does and always will define duck hunting in SC. Only thing I could add would be wearing a pair of a borrowed pair of "insulated" socks with the big red band on top.

SCWA sucks and Camp Woodie Sucks, end of discussion.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

Sprig, thanks for that post. It pretty well sums up the principles of most of the folks on this site. Wouldn't mind sharing a blind with more folks like yourself, but when you're teaching yourself to duck hunt later in life (late 20's and early 30's) it's hard to get in with folks who do things right. Seems everyone I run into I can't stand to ever go hunt with again after just one morning.