Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10lbs of shit, in a 5lb bag (cypress strip boat)

Default 10lbs of shit, in a 5lb bag (cypress strip boat)

A couple of years back, I happened upon my Pappa's one man boat, and another strip boat up in the top of a barn at the farm.

The "other" strip boat has always been around, and I used it back when I was young. It is in near perfect condition.

My Pappa's boat, is also a one man strip boat, but needs a new floor, and some new wood here and there. They both have been another one of those things to do, that I never have time for. With the addition of Ms. Addie, my free time is an endangered species.

With that said, I have been considering selling the "other" strip boat just to free up some space. I do it with a heavy heart, as I refuse to part with shit that belonged to family, especially family that meant something to me. Hence, the thread title, "10lbs of shit, in a 5lb bag".

Further, this is not a WTS thread. My goal is to get an idea of what such an item would sell for. First, I dont think I can remove myself from the history of it to be able to submit a fair price for it. Second, I am thinking, before I can use this boat, it will deteriorate and become unusable; I am thinking someone would be able to care for it and appreciate it more. Thirdly, perhaps someone would tell me I am an unholy bastard for selling one of Pappa's boats and I will change my mind.

Pictures:

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Forgot to mention, this thing will tote the mail. It was no issue at all to paddle it upriver and gain on folks with an electric motor.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

damn i'd love to have that thing. How much work would it need you think? I've always wanted to build one but don't know if i have the patience to start from scratch. I'd love to do something like this with my dad. If you figure out a price, give me first option.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

What length is it? Stand it up in the corner and make a book/display case out of it.

Damn the goat...

Sporty and I need a project like this. Second behind Phone.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    damn i'd love to have that thing. How much work would it need you think? I've always wanted to build one but don't know if i have the patience to start from scratch. I'd love to do something like this with my dad. If you figure out a price, give me first option.
    Hell no, I cant sell it to you. You will sell it in under 6 months. Seriously, though...if you and Johnson want to borrow it to sketch some jigs...You are more than welcome.

I am still not convinced I want to sell it just yet.

Charlie, It would be great for a house with a 10' ceiling....just not mine right now.

i thought about that too. One day i'm gonna have one of thoseother strip boat with a 40 on it. dang they look fun.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Delete this thread and work on it a little at a time.

It has been around this long, no sense in cutting its time short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

i agree

Bb listen ifn it needs to go u know i have a home for it. And you could always come pick it back up ifn you needed it back. But I will let you see the pics of where it was put to the use your kin would certainly approve of.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

For clarification:

There are two boats.

The one pictured, is the one that is in perfect shape. No issues beyond the fiberglass is rubbed to the wood on the transom.

The other one, is in sorry shape. It was my pappa's go to boat. Matter of fact, I dont ever remember him using the one pictured. It is the one that I have to basically take apart, and rebuild...and there is no way I would ever get rid of that one. It was the first boat I ever fished in...sat on the livewell with my pappa and thought I was the shit.

This one pictured stayed under the barn until company came and wanted to go fishing. My boat inventory with these two: Layout boat, Pappa's one man strip boat, this one man strip boat, a canoe, and the High Tide.

I'll store it and put it to use, you come and get it whenever you want it.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

You sell it just one time and you're likely to NEVER get it back.

The lonely voice of reason....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

BB - Don't make me moderate you... Skrimple was nice but I'll tell you straight up that selling this strip boat would be dumber than fucking dirt. Plus, Lil Bro will kick you in the nuts when he realizes what you did in few years .
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

If'n you sell your pappy's boat, I'm gonna have to give you the bare knuckle whippin' you know you'd deserve...

Make it a Little Brother project. Build another shed if that's what it takes...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

"Sigh"

Ya'll are right.

Had a weak moment, with an overwhelming pile of shit to do and saw a way to check something off the list.

Thanks for the kick in nads boys. Ya'll are alright.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Some night 40 years from now you'll be sitting around spitting tobbacco juice on a hot fire barrel and the subject of river fishing will come up. The talk will turn to those old strip boats and the craftsmanship that went into them. You'll mention finding your pappa's boat in the rafters of the old barn and your grandson will ask you what happened to it.

You really gonna tell him you let it go to make room for a bunch of other junk you won't be able to remember? If you don't have the time to fix it back up, dig around and find somebody that will do a first class job and then slide that thing back up in the rafters. You'll never regret doing it, and a 10' strip boat doesn't take up much room anyway.

Keep them. They look like real old Lumber River boats.

Don't do it BB.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

My dad and granddad once built boats for a living, their cypress strip boats sold in the 850/1000 dollar range. They were top notch boats, and they built their last one in 1985. Its sits under the car port right now. No amount of money could buy it. Find some where to store it. I assume at some point they may come back '' in style'' just like everything else, and people that can build a good wood boat is getting harder and harder to find. Like the others if you need some where to keep it I can put it up in the boat shop till youre ready for it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.