Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Activated-carbon scent control clothing...

Deer are definitely spookier here than out west. However, let one get a good snootful of human and they jet like rockets out there too. Anybody ever pay attention to thermals in a no wind situation?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

You ever get the urge to see something put a tremendous amount of real estate between you and itself in a very short amount of time, let a pronghorn get a sniff of a human. They get skint back in a hurry.

First elk hunt I was a part of there were four of us in camp. One dude was tricked out in some scent blocker from head to toe. My man looked like a magazine ad. The outfitter about busted a gut laughing and predicted he'd be shedding said suit after 30 minutes and he was correct. First 1/4 mile up that mountain and it looked like a yard sale. He had clothes scattered over half of Montana.

Art,

I am not knocking ya. If it works for you, fine. Happy for you. I just dont see it neccesary to spend more money and place another layer to the onion.

It seems to me that we are conditioned to buy the newest, shiniest, and what is marketed to be the best. The latest and greatest happens once a year...and it is for sale. The best deer hunting gadget I have ever seen was a feather tied to the barrel of a rifle with a piece of thread.

For what it is worth, stink is stink is stink. If you hunt the wind, the deer can not smell you.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

after reading the lawsuits brought against Scent Lok, I am doubting its effectiveness.

Come on bb...read my post. I agree that the carbon stuff is probably a load. Stink is not stink imo...there are animal scents and then human scents...I don't think racoon dunkie will scare away a deer like a steamin pile of turd ferguson dunkie...

Playing the wind is always right. unless the deer comes from behind you. I have seen people kill a deer smoking in the stand. Doesn't mean that it isn't detrimental to your chances of seeing a mature buck on a regular basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Originally posted by artdevilish:
    I use it exclusively.
    I read it art. You doubt it but still use it. Cool.

Not in a pissing contest...but curious, what exactly does raccoon dung have to do with human body odor? BO is BO is BO...bo. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (sorry, I liked the way that looked.) They cooked in lodges, plenty of burnt flesh aroma going around and permeating that leather clothing. Besides that, WASP settlers here on the continent...they have killed more than a few themselves. Almost killed them all in fact.

Wear your work clothes...shit your pants if you want to...just hunt the wind and you will kill/see deer. Just not as many.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I use it exclusively b/c I bought a crap pile of it and fell hook line and sinker before the lawsuits came out. It's great hunting clothing imho, not for the "carbon", but camo, comfort, light weight. Perhaps you are right on the indians? I really don't have that much experience/study knowledge about them.

Ouch...that stinks. The falling for it bit that is. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I hear ya on the good camo, dont blame you a bit for using the piss out of it. I just have a hard time buying into all the gadgets, new and improved stuff. The wheel is round no matter how many times it is re-invented.

On the injuns and WASP settlers...it doesnt take a degree in anthropology to figger out that they cooked the meat they kilt and built fires to keep warm. Hell they might even have used boar coon piss as a cover scent, who knows.

What this thread has done for me is what I intended...

I will buy cheaper threads and do what I have always done for scent management.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Yeah, but the only ones who said it doesn't work are the ones who have never used it.

Do tampons really work?

Originally posted by M2Field:
    Do tampons really work?
    Que Media Guy. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Never said they didnt work. As previously stated, I dont buy into the gimmicks. The wheel can only be invented once...every re-invention, it is still only a wheel.

Originally posted by M2Field:
    Yeah, but the only ones who said it doesn't work are the ones who have never used it.
    Did you read arts post?

Best marketing ploy since pet rocks IMO. My last deer of this season was killed at about 3 feet with a 41 revolver. I was on the ground wearing a navy blue T shirt, jeans and work boots and had the wind in my face. I saw the deer coming and stood still behind some sapling pines and shot her point blank when she cleared the last obstacle between us. I keep myself and my clothes as clean as possible and hunt the wind.

funny stuff.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

Perhaps the same argument could be made for using Bang! or Carolina Lunker Sauce for fishing. I use it indeed. Not as an attractant, but a cover.....Some people don't believe fish can smell...Some folks think that a deer's sense of smell is overrated...I believe that, if a hound can pick up a scent of a human 24 hours old, deer probably have a pretty good sense, too. Perhaps I could try to train a deer to retrieve? mouth is alittle small...at least to tree?

M2 is "convinced" his $200 suit works. Bully for him. It gives him confidence. Also note that he is more concerned about scent overall. He takes great strides to be scent free and gives the $200 coat the props. no biggie. Keep at it.

People kill deer all the time and I know they smell like ass, beer, cigarettes, and BO. Doesn't prove a thing about what is scientifically DISproven to work.

Carry on in your own way and enjoy your own hunt. no one can tell you what is right or wrong as long as you enjoy the hunt and some success from time to time.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

i use to know an old indian who would not eat for three days and would rub horse hair, dirt, weeds, et cetera all over himself before he set out to steal horses.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

Originally posted by dukmon:
    i use to know an old indian who would not eat for three days and would rub horse hair, dirt, weeds, et cetera all over himself before he set out to steal horses.
    I do the same thing before I go clubin'.

[img]graemlins/djsmilie.gif[/img]

There was an article several years ago about a man whose hobby was to see how many animals he could touch. He didn't shoot them, but considered touching them a successful "hunt".

If I remember correctly I think he covered himself in charcoal and dirt. I wish I could remember his name. He touched deer, elk, turkeys, rabbits, etc. He said the most difficult to touch was a fox.

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    M2 is "convinced" his $200 suit works.
    Hardly a suit. Just a light weight fleece type jacket. Wasn't $200 either. Just setting the facts straight.

The jacket is great for cool temps and bowhunting, regardless of it's scent blocking abilities (or lack there of). Which was my main purpose of buying it. I still believe it helps with scent control to a certain extent.

This be it

BB hmmm, what ta say?We used to(and Mergie will back me up here) sew lumps of activated carbon in our deerhide clothing.Problem solved! Notice the word deerhide,break it down here,deer hide.When we was wearin it we'd be HIDing, you with me here?Now after a few days of ball scratchin goat smellin bearshit rolling panther piss cover scent before a big date,a lil bit of activated carbon scent control(some white guy stole the name) deerhide & we'd head on home and get us some.Always and I mean always carry you some activated carbon scent blocker(shoulda been patented by an Injun) with ya cause ya just never know who you might meet on the path.Hope I've helped. regds,Horv. Duckmon we pretty much do the same today before truck stealin but it's usually just the result of falling down three days o beer drinking!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.