Thread: $20K to snitch on elk poacher

Default $20K to snitch on elk poacher

July 20, 2012
    State wildlife conservation group ups reward for elk poacher
    Filed under: Uncategorized — Karen Chavez @ 5:27 pm

The N.C. Wildlife Federation, a wildlife conservation organization, has raised the reward money they are offering from $5,000 to $20,000 to help find the person or people responsible for the recent killing of three elk near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in the Mount Sterling area of Haywood County.

The conservation group pledged up to the new amount “to a person(s) who provides information about the elk killings that directly leads to an arrest, a criminal conviction, a civil penalty assessment, or forfeiture of property by the subject or subjects responsible.”

The three elk were killed around May 18, one bull with a .22 caliber firearm, a cow with a birdshot from a shotgun, and a pregnant cow with a undetermined gunshot.

In 2011, a bull elk with the ear marked No. 16 was found dead in the Pisgah National Forest of Haywood County. Three WNC men were charged this week with illegal possession of that elk’s antlers and fined $500 each in U.S. District Court in Asheville. Officials said they believed the three men found the elk dead in the woods and were not responsible for killing that elk.

“We feel strongly that this malicious and cowardly act of illegal activity has no place in NC,” Tim Gestwicki, executive director of the North Carolina Wildlife Federation said in a statement.

“We are upping the ante to hopefully entice anyone with information to come forth. We are providing these resources to underscore the seriousness we place on the poaching of this iconic species.”

The poached elk were part of a reintroduction program by the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that began in 2002. Initially 25 elk were brought to Cataloochee Valley where the herd has grown to 140 but have now spread beyond the park boundary. People come from far and wide to view the elk, significantly supporting local tourism.

“We hope the investigation yields results and that the message is crystal clear: poaching elk in North Carolina will not be tolerated,” said Gestwicki. “We condemn in full any illegal wildlife violations and remain resolved to assisting state and federal agencies in upholding the regulations and guiding principles of fish and wildlife management.”

“We are committed to pursuing all leads as we continue this investigation,” said Col. Dale Caveny of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission’s Division of Law Enforcement in a statement.

“We hope that this significant addition to the reward fund will prompt someone to come forward with additional information that will help us bring criminal charges in this case.”

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission wildlife violations number at 800-662-7137. Any awarded monies do not have to be made public to anonymous tips.

The N.C. Wildlife Federation formed in 1945 when sportsmen from around the state worked for the establishment of a science-based wildlife management agency.

Wish I had a crystal ball.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Lucky for those guys that I don't know who did it!!! I'd have me another boat added to the fleet in a hurry!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Lowlife people, they should be shot. I have zero tolerance for that type of behavior.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

How is it illegal to possess antlers of an animal that you find in the woods?

If the Elk were on the NP land I can understand it but if I read this correct these elk were killed off NP land. There's no excuse for killing the elk period! But if the person legitimately found the antlers and had NO PART in killing the animals then why is that illegal?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Something similar to the illegal eagle law im sure......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_feather_law
    "Eagle feather law

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The eagle feather law provides many exceptions to federal wildlife laws regarding eagles and other migratory birds to enable Native Americans to continue their traditional practices.
    Under the current language of the eagle feather law, individuals of certifiable Native American ancestry enrolled in a federally recognized tribe are legally authorized to obtain eagle feathers. Additionally, a change in law made it legal for all active, non active and reserve members past, present and future, of the United States Army 101st Screaming Eagle Division, to possess one single eagle feather in honor of their service. These feathers are not allowed to be passed on to any non 101st member or non-native. Unauthorized persons found with an eagle or its parts in their possession can be fined up to $25,000. The eagle feather law allows for individuals who are adopted members of federally recognized tribes to obtain eagle feathers and eagle feather permits."
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 07-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

I fully understand that law. But this about the elk I don't. Elk are not federally protected. Yes the herd in the park is protected but if they wonder off the NP land shed their antlers and you find one its illegal to possess it? Same concept if you find one dead.....hopefully its not been illegally killed. But let's just say it died of some sort of natural causes and you found the skull/rack not on NP property.....then its illegal to possess it ?
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 07-22-2012 at 10:01 AM.

They passed a special law just to protect this herd. That way, if anyone killed one and then later said that they "just found it dead" they could still be charged. It was supposed to discourage head hunting. Look how well that is working out...

Ten four. Now that makes perfect sense

Thanks JAB