Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Hunters take note

While my mental status is arguable on any given day...

I just want to clear something up. Admittedly, it is a streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch but here goes...

I am in no way saying that SC enacting legislative restrictions on dog hunting is a Second Amendment issue. The correlation I am making between the two are similar in that the NRA fights every single piece of legislation concerning GUN CONTROL, (not DOG HUNTING) it can on the basis that if not, it is ANOTHER stepping stone the ANTIeverythings have in which to pass FURTHER legislation and erode what rights are left to us. Take that logic and apply it to the ENTIRE hunting community. The anti's follow natural selection guys...they attack the weak ones first, the ones we dont want with us, in this case the dog hunters.

Am I the only one who sees or has the ability to see the similarity between the two examples? Geez manetti...I am thinking the doc was right and I need to get back on my medication.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm a low level member of the NRA.

I support the 2nd amendment.

Look at the states that have banned dog hunting in the last 50 years (TX comes to mind). None of them have lost any of their other methods of hunting.

That will be the same case here in SC.

Letters to The Editor ______________________

Small group causes problems for others

In response to Dwight Allen's comments concerning current hunting laws, I have a house on 15 acres in Effingham. I have never had an issue with hunters.
    I respect their rights to the land and to the sport.
    My issue is with the few that have no respect for others, and it is for this small population of dangerous people with guns that stricter laws are a must.
    Last weekend,I was putting my 3 year old son down for a nap and discovered a hole in the headboard of his bed.
    Upon investigation, I discovered a hole in the wall behind his bed.
    I went outside to find two holes in my house. One went into the headboard where my child sleeps and the other went into an antique trunk under a window in the same room. We found buckshot on the floor where the furniture had stopped them.
    We called the Sheriff's Department and the Game Warden, and they said they thought hunters did this, but it would be difficult to catch whoever did it.
    I do think that the deer population needs to be controled,and I still respect the hunters rights to the land and to the sport.
    But a hunter who truly has proper respect for game laws and landowner rights should realize that stricter laws need to be enforced to protect homeowners and their precious children.

Donna Phillips
    Effingham

Amen sister. And Texas is a great state. They do not allow dog hunting but allow many more things that we dont that would be hot buttons for the anti's and they have not lost any of them. Why? Because hunting is a hertige there and without dog hunters in the mix everyone else sticks together.

“If we don’t come up with a compromise somewhere, all the hunters are going to lose.”
    That is an impossible task, because you have some that will not stop till it is banned. This will be a lot like the Confederate Flag issue, people first wanted it taken down off the state house, and when they got what they wanted it was not good enough, so they want it completely gone. The dog hunting issue will be no different because many of you that are complaining fit in the same shoes of those that were wanting the flag gone, people that are not happy until they get what they want. Some of you have legitimate problems with dog hunters, and to you I appologize because not all of us are like that.

The ones that one it banned keep pushing for it because I will be right there pushing back to protect something I love.
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

BigBrother, you have no argument. There are NO parallels between defending property rights and hunting in general.

Dog hunting is fat and ready for slaughter. It's long overdue.

Trail it is right for you to push for what you love but if you guys love it so much why didn't you get together a long time ago and offer a compromise as legislation and beat iit to the punch? If you are not a solution you are a problem. "I have nothing against responsible dog hunters but unfortunatly I dont know any who are responsible"

Succintly, push for a legal solution from a landowner's fight for property rights. Damnit, my family land is surrounded by dog clubs or tracts where the land owners allow the surrounding clubs to run through it once in a while. I have as much of a gripe as anyone else does.

Leave the word "hunting" out of any piece of legislation you can. Yes TX has banned dog hunting...yet for all intents and purposes, it was recent. Our children may pay dearly in the future for our emotional and zealous knee jerk responses now.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Let's be just like Texas and ban dog hunting, and then fence in all of our property to deer hunt. They really have it figured out there!
    Originally posted by scfisherman143: "we mostly have woodies and teal but today we had workable big ducks allot of them ringnecks buffleheads redheads teal woodies it was amazing\"<br /><br />Another brilliant future duck hunter in the making

Originally posted by Trail'nTree:
    This will be a lot like the Confederate Flag issue...
    More dogger logic. Equating current property rights issues to the NAACP bitching about the rebel flag. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Trail'nTree:
    The ones that one it banned keep pushing for it because I will be right there pushing back to protect something I love.
    This quote was kinda hard to read, but I think I managed to understand that you want to plead your hollow logic and sad story about "lost tradition" down at the State House. Good luck with that.

TnT,

You like others always mention compromise. What do you suggest?

.......and us turning our heads the other way while walker hounds run all over our property is not in the equation. SO what do you suggest?

Try using some of the same legislation used in Georgia. From what I have heard from friends that live there, it is working well for them. No matter how well it works though, you are going to have a few people that will continue to screw it up for the rest of us and not follow the new regulations, and you will have others that will complain until they get there way.

Fish, as for you I could give two shits about what you think because all you do is get on here and stir the pot and bitch. Not once have I ever read a post were you discussed one of your hunting adventures or even posted pictures of one of you experiences. You claim to be a fisherman, but I have yet to see any pics, and until you prove me wrong shut the hell up and mind your own business.

Now that I think about it you have not made any positive contributions to the site!

tradorion Coots

Funny Ass Quote as your signature TnT... [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Bottom line is doggers did it to themselves. The good clubs could have come to the table and said "Realizing that there is a problem we, the good doggers, want to help police the bad doggers and protect our sport."

Good doggers failed to do so and now they will be looking at folks with NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in their sport re-writing the rules.

Even if it is not this legislative session the writing is on the wall and they had better start looking if they want to see dog hunting as a part of SC's hunting future and not just a historical footnote.

It is amazing at how many folks who LOVE driving deer- ME for one- think their needs to be better rules governing it.

In order of fun/challenging hunting my very most favorite is bowhunting, deer/man drives are a close second. Sniping deer with a scoped rifle (especially over corn [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] ) a WAAAAAY distant third.

It will be sad to see a favorite aspect of my sport go to the wayside- but it is fast headed for a crash.

T

I vote for applying Trad's comments to 6-8 other topics here and there.

Why dont we hear about people tresspassing and still hunting others property Ive had problems with still hunters trespassing on my property and I know of others that have.Or is there no bad still hunters like all the dog hunters.We need to stop finger pointing and prosecute to outlaws that still hunt and dog hunt.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Originally posted by cochran34:
    Why dont we hear about people tresspassing and still hunting others property Ive had problems with still hunters trespassing on my property and I know of others that have.Or is there no bad still hunters like all the dog hunters.We need to stop finger pointing and prosecute to outlaws that still hunt and dog hunt.
    Trespassers are prosectued. If you have them on your land all you gotta do is call Operation Game Thief at 1-800-922-5431. Won't cost you one red cent!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Originally posted by cochran34:
    We have tresspassing laws for stillhunters and doghunters. What we need are tresspassing laws for Walker hounds. They(free roaming walkerhounds) are causing the problems....whether intentionally or unintentionally done is irrelevant.

That is what this is about.

Lest we forget, this is a PROPERTY RIGHTS issue at heart. It has nothing to do with hunting. (since the one guy quoted in yesterday's article said he didn't care about loading his gun, for example)

All that those on the "other" side of the proverbial fence need to do is find a way to keep their hounds and beagles on THEIR land at ALL times - NO EXCEPTIONS. If they don't, there need to be repercussions, period the end.

SCTIMBER Coots

AMEN to that Merg and Catdaddy