Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: let's talk tractors

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    looking at the 5055 and 5065 slaya said.

Buckshot--i know we can do the no till and strip till but we got a LONG way to go figuring out some of our weed issues. a bigger tractor doesnt kill pigweed any better than a small one. we need to get on that, for sure.
    round up and firestorm before they seed out depending on the situation........and strip till

everytime you plow a seeded pigweed you are planting 100 more

kill'em early and often
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    looking at the 5055 and 5065 slaya said.

Buckshot--i know we can do the no till and strip till but we got a LONG way to go figuring out some of our weed issues. a bigger tractor doesnt kill pigweed any better than a small one. we need to get on that, for sure.
    I am not liking reading about the Cadre resistant pigweed.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker View Post
    I am not liking reading about the Cadre resistant pigweed.
    We've had it happen. And round-up resistant pigweed. You have to get past those generations with alternative chemicals it seems. They don't seem to stay that way unless you keep using the same stuff.

Pigweed is one of those weeds that isn't exactly easy to kill.

I know of a farmer in Rock Thrill that carries a hoe (get your minds out of the gutter) with him everywhere he goes just for pigweed sightings. He may actually read this thread at some point today and comment.

I don't care when or what you spray, if you've ever had pigweed, you're going to have it again. Sometimes, you've got to put in a little manual labor after you've planted your field if you want to keep after it. Conversation with neighbors won't hurt either... if they've got it, so will you eventually.

2th, listen to your boy Buckshot. He knows what he's talking about. However, if it were me, I'd get me something new-ish so that you're not in maintenance mode all of the time. Unless of course you want to pay me to keep your shit fixed all of the time... in which case, I'm more than happy to help you find a 100hp ride from the 80's.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

A 5O hp kubota would be great in case you got your Deere stuck and needed some junk to throw under the wheels to get her out of the hole...

You have seen the tractor at Cali's place. It is perfect for what you need. It is why we have bought one for the farm and one for the mountain. Blanchard in St. Matthews is your closest dealership. It will do everything you need it to do. Hell, I pulled a tractor trailer fully loaded with nitrogen tanks out of the bog with it yesterday...

What kind of tractor is that JAB? Blue, Green, Orange it don't really matter, they are all good. My New Holland so far, appears to be every bit as good as the Bota.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    2th, listen to your boy Buckshot. He knows what he's talking about. However, if it were me, I'd get me something new-ish so that you're not in maintenance mode all of the time. Unless of course you want to pay me to keep your shit fixed all of the time... in which case, I'm more than happy to help you find a 100hp ride from the 80's.
    Preventative maintence

Few guys on here know what I'm talking about............hahaha

Honestly, the tractors are not a problem.......the attachments on the other hand. Granted more barn space would help that.

6 series JD's Lab. They have been bullet proof 4 years and counting. Replanted a cornfield yesterday with a JD 953O. It steered itself with the GPS system, had an air ride that glided over the hog rootings that made us have to replant, and couldn't fit in one of my deer patches unless you airlifted it in and out. Sweet tractor for large operations for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    Preventative maintence

Arent you behind on your preventative maintenance?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

JAB, what size HP is that? Sounds like a great ride.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    He doesn't know what that is. Just damn!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    6 series JD's Lab. They have been bullet proof 4 years and counting. Replanted a cornfield yesterday with a JD 953O. It steered itself with the GPS system, had an air ride that glided over the hog rootings that made us have to replant, and couldn't fit in one of my deer patches unless you airlifted it in and out. Sweet tractor for large operations for sure...
    The 6 series are great tractors and my favorite for sure. Great power to weight ratio as far as tractors are concerned. Alot of the newer tractors are built light and wont put the power to the ground and also bounce all over the damn place for a rough ride.

PS...Get the air ride seat
    Last edited by SCH2Ofowler; 07-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    JAB, what size HP is that? Sounds like a great ride.
    anywhere from 85 to 240hp
    http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_INT.../tractors.page?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Always

I prevent 5 minutes before start up........

Put in simplest terms, if your current attachments are the right size for your need, then stay with a tractor that pulls them well. From what I remember, a 50ish HP ought to get her done. You ain't making a living from farming with your lack of talent/skill, so don't overdo this.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Take a look at a 2955 John Deere
    The best time to do something is between yesterday and tomorrow

What kind of soil are you in? implements for the larger tractors are crazy high. Lane @ Derrick equipment is good guy.
    I have a 40 hp 4wd kubota with heavy bucket GST.

I have used it in red clay and sand. Red clay at home. Time in sand was half.

I also use the bucket more than I ever thought I would.

I agree with SCH2O, 6 series or 7 series (90 to 110 hp) tractors are good stuff.

We have a 60hp New Holland (4wd) that has been a good tractor, and we use it for all types of stuff like; disc, plant, spray, and bush hog. Also have an older International 1066 (i think around 125 hp) we use mostly for discing. At times the 1066 is too big and at times the NH is too small (only when discing). So, if we were to get a new tractor, my vote would be for a 4WD 6 or 7 series.

I agree with 2th on the cab, radio, gps, or whatever. We are not farmers and don't need all that. For reference we plant about 40 ac in duck ponds, 10ac in dove field, and about 10-15 ac of food plots.
    Last edited by FHF; 07-18-2012 at 03:04 PM.

All Toooofer needs is a tank he can't tear up, that will pull a plow and couple other implements.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

i AM listening to Buckshot. Trust me!

I live in the real world. I am not old, per se, but i have been around the block. I have been in hunt clubs and i have been in ownership-type deals. I know what I like and I know when to stay the hell out of it (bc i just dont like people.) That being said, I have a realistic expectation for a "new" tractor. It wont be new, I can promise you that. It will, however, be bigger than what we have and be 2WD. I am not sure about where i stand on the bucket just yet. A lot depends on the "ex post facto preventative maintenance" that we need to do on our current blue tractor.

I also know what things DONT get done year to year on a farm like ours...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.